DSM Problems

my friend has a 1997 eagle talon tsi awd
and he evertime he puts the car into gear he gets alot of resistance coming from the drivetrain and can only drive it about two feet

this is his only means of transportation so any help would be awesome

wnyDSM.org

Hybrid Connection - 674 - 2772

what happens after he drives about two feet? does the car stall? does it refuse to go into gear at all? a little more info would help :slight_smile:

well it goes into gear…but it just wont budge and just to get i to move that two feet you have to give it alot of gas…when you put it into gear there is a loud clunk

There is no story to go along with this? or did it just happen from sitting in the driveway :confused:

Jeller

^^^ dont even get me started>>>>:banghead: :mad: :rant:

pretty much

this kids been in my work i have no idea wtf they r trying to say

ahaha he thinks its the carrierbearing for the driveshaft but i really don’t know i just help him work on it

“i put the car in gear is only moves a few feet” how the hell are we soposed to give a internet diagnosis with information like that?

just as a exaple this is what a proper thread shoudl look like. the video wasn’t necessary but it does help. http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11987

I dont know if the carrier bearing should cause that… unless it’s seizing up… which I wouldnt be surprised.

Does reverse still work? When it stops is the engine able to rev while in gear? Is it hard to get in and out of gear? Is the clutch engagement very low on the floor?

How are the brakes? Are they hot after driving? A noticeble amount of brake dust? whens the last time he checked the calipers?

This could really be a whole array of things… need to start doing some diagnostic and ruling this stuff out… start with the easy things.

Check the transfer case too, sounds like a clutch problem to me. The clutch might not be disengaging all the way, which might have caused the clutch to burn up, hence the lots of gas to get it to move… This would also explain the clunk into gear. This could point to a faulty throwout bearing. Which happened to be the last thing I replaced on my DSM before I said Fuck this, and bought a new car.