Reversing Gear is funky?

Hey just a question. Whenever i try and put the car into reverse (at a standstill and i even double clutch it just for the hell of it), it makes this clunk or thumb sound. Not a grinding gear sound, but it sounds like a loud thumb right below my gear box or a bix further back. Anyone know what the problem is?

worn out universals on driveshaft

is that hard to replace or expensive to replace? and what happens if i don’t replace it? thanks

worst case scenario is your driveshaft would seperate, but doubtfull, most likely it will just get more wore out than it currently is. the part here that is the problem is the joints on the driveshaft that let it bend slightly and keep putting power to the diff when the driveshaft is not completely strait ( going over a bump for example) how many KM are on your car?

i dont know about that… “not saying your wrong thou” you may well be very right…

if “i want to” i can make my car clunk putting into reverse… or I can get it into reverse without it clunking… nissan trannys are just shit.

if indeed its a bad universal then i need to put that on my list of shit to fix this winter.

i have currently 181,xxx km on the car. it only clunks maybe 10% of the time or less. would this clunk come about if i don’t press my clutch in fully?? sometimes i might not press it fully by a centimeter or so…maybe that could be the issue? (happens because my clutch is so damn hard)

if “i want to” i can make my car clunk putting into reverse… or I can get it into reverse without it clunking… nissan trannys are just shit.
[/quote]

how do u not make it clunk?

old trannys
worn syncros
cold fluid, gearbox is tight

gears clunk/grind here and there, if it gets bad then worry about it.
check the drivetrain out, center bearing, u-joints, shaft
etc

alot of people will go from 1st gear to reverse… i go 4th - reverse and it doesnt clunk… if i get in and just try to put it into reverse she’ll clunk…

strange…

hahahahahahahahaha

I just realized that I figured out my problem a while ago… “stock slave wont hold enough pressure to push on my pressure plate” and the rubber line is actually expanding @ times…

I can have a hard time with 1st or Reverse… but more so with Reverse…

SOHC has a 7/16’’’’ piston or some junk and the DOHC is only 5/16’’ “both master cylinder and slave cylinder” So I was going to try a SOHC Slave, SOHC Master + S/S hardline instead of the rubber one… and if I still have problems then will buy a Nismo Slave I suppose…

Whether this is anyone elses problem I could not say as I have a stage 4 clutch kit and the car NEVER clunked or had a clutch issue with the KA and stock clutch unit etc

k i drove the car again today and i found it maybe its not a clunk…but it sounds like an engaging sound in the rear…and not in the gearbox. it seems like sometimes it makes this sound to engage into reverse? is this normal? or should it be looked into. thanks once again

if it truly is in the rear, your clutch must still be engaging very slightly at times, nothing behind the tranny moves while putting it into gear. My guess would be the differential witch has a few mm of play in it, is clunking from a little bit of force from the driveshaft turning the ring gear. i dont know if u will be able to understand this its hard to type lol

well i have read a few posts that have this similar “thump” sound and what i read was that i should change my rear diff fluids and that would solve it. Not quite sure if it works but its what i’ve read. Second, im having a bit of difficult getting into first gear sometimes (not right when i start the car in the morning). I have to double clutch it sometimes to get into gear and other times i feel as if the gears are still spinning when i force it in (when its a green light i cant sit and wait for the gears to feel like it wants to go in) but it doesn’t make a grinding noise. So whats the problem here? Some people say i should change my clutch fluids and bleed it. Would this solve my problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

you said your clutch is heavy, does that mean you had it upgraded at some point?? if so did you change the master cylinder at the same time?

i purchased the vehicle like this and the person said its pretty much stock except for springs and exhaust. even if i adjust my clutch with max free play…its still pretty stiff compared to others i have tested. does this mean i have a non-oem pressure plate? clutch doesnt feel like a stage 2 or nething like that. i just want my clutch softer, because i wear boots when i drive and the top of my foot is killing. =P

stiff pedal can also mean your clutch is damaged to an extent… (example broken springs on the disk) or whack pressure plate

“my integra… the pedal is usually stiff but if I beat the shit outta 1st/2nd gear and kick the clutch kinda” the pedal goes soft… why, cause my PP is fucked up and I need a new one.

so i gave my friend my car to test drive and he says i should bleed my clutch first…if my clutch is still funky i should replace MC and then slave.
He says the reason why theres thumping in my 1st and reverse gear is because the clutch isnt engaging fully and also says my engaging and disengaging pt is totally different. probably 4inch difference. So…now my question is…how do you bleed your clutch? I searched and only got few tips and the process of bleeding the brakes.