Tranny clunk

Hey guys, I have a 240 that I just picked up and I am wondering about the transmission. Whenever I change gears and let the clutch out it feels like it drops and just thumps into place. Its like a clicky clunky noise and you can feel inside the car. It drives fine I am just wondering if this is something to be worried about? It is a stock KA btw.
Thanks 8)

After market exhaust? my car did the same and i got it up on the lift only to realise my HKS super dragger was living up to its name and it was dragging right on the driveshaft. Only noticed when turning really sharply.

i think you need to learn to shift properly. the only time i notice the exact same thing is when i’m lazy or not really paying attention and i do a sloppy shift.

Umm thanks but I can shift fine, like I said I JUST bought this car because it was a killer deal. My other 240 w/ sr20 doesn’t make the same thud feeling even if its the sloppiest shift ever.

And pokey I haven’t had time to get it on the lift yet, but I’ll definetly take a look when I can. It has some exhaust on it (probably the crappy tire special). You said you only heard it during sharp turns though, on mine it makes the noise going straight too.

Could this be the tranny going? It happens the worst going into 2nd and 3rd, barely at all into 4th. :chin:

u joints?

Ahh good call, didn’t even cross my mind. I’ll check them as well once I get it in the air :tonqe:

double post

does your clutch pedal feel normal?

Compared to my other car the clutch pedal feels really soft, it still grabs/drives fine though.

did u check the u joints yet?

^^ yeah actually that makes sense… probably a broken bolt or broken mount

i would just crawl under the car and check out the ujoints asap. if they are as bad as described a u joint could let go on the road and leave you stranded and out a lot more money

Thanks guys, I plan on checking them saturday when I’m not so busy. It’s just sitting in my garage right now not being driven. I’ve only driven the car once which was the drive home when I bought it last saturday. :slight_smile:

Okay so I took a look at the driveshafts the other day and I couldn’t find any broken bolts or mounts. It did feel like it had a lot of play however. How much play should they usually have? This one has probably a little more than a half inch.

The mounts should have hardly any, if any at all play in them. If your finding this problem in specific gears, your most likely looking at an internal tranny problem. If the guy before you couldn’t drive, he could have worn the synchros/blocker rings in the transmission.

It happens the worst going into second and third, and pretty much not at all in fourth. I guess this is sounding more like the tranny is going :?

Does this mean if the synchros and blocker rings are indeed gone then I have to replace the whole tranny?

Also is there any way to tell if the synchros are worn without removing the transmission?