Rear end clunk

im getting this horrible clunk from the rear when i shift.

i replaced the diff with a mint non-abs s14 vlsd, and an s13 non-abs driveshaft, and its still making the sound. it seems to be gettin worse as the weeks go on.

1st to second, its really noticable (passengers say “wtf was that?”), same with 2nd to 3rd, not as bad as 1st to 2nd but theres a noise. and 3rd to 4th theres only a tiny sound sometimes.

also, if im rolling really slow in first clutch out, like coming around to a drivethru window and i put the clutch in, it makes a really horrible clunk.

another thing too, if im cruisin along i can tap the gas with my foot and it clunks every time.

if im REALLY smooth shifting it wont make the sound but if i just drive normal or im a liitle bit sloppy its really lound CLUNK.

anyone else had this problem? what was the sloution?

thank you

I have this problem as well.

I have, but i haven’t fixed it either, i am rebuilding the car so hopefully it’ll go away after i replace everything heh. It could be just the subframe bushings but im thinking it could be something with the driveshaft yoke thingamajig or inside the pumpkin the diff… i dont know :-/ it happens when applying throttle… i doubt it’d be the axles… LOL… i dont know so many things to consider on our 20 year old cars…

Could be many things…

Drive Shaft will clunk if the universals are worn/seized.

Drive Axles will clunk if the spider gears wear because as they wear, you get slop.

Diff can clunk if the bearings are worn out because like the drive axles, you end up getting slop in the output shafts.

Subframe can also rock/move under acceleration causing a clunk since it can float/move in the rubber bushings.

Now I also have this problem but its not very bad at all… I’m currently in the middle of replacing pretty much everything in the rear end and the only part back going in without being replaced is the VLSD so if the clunking doesnt go away then its defiantly the diff.

check all the bolts.

Could be a busted motor mount/tranny mount check them out!

It sounds like theres play in the drive line. I had a similar problem and found that when accelerating, the drive shaft was pushing up towards the floor of the car and rubbing on my E-brake line. The problem for me was actually that my e-brake cable shifted downwards and was close enough to rub when accelerating. In your case it could be that one of your U-joints is smacking against the floor of your car…get under it and look to see if you can see any rubbing on the shaft or floor.

my brothers truck did the same thing. His universal joint were worn out. He replaced them and now the truck runs smooth.

trans mount

Tanny mount is most likely your problem. I had the exact same problem, then I put in a good condition mount and the problem had dissapeared completely, but my dead engine mounts ripped the new tranny mount the next day at Dunnville.:frowning:

Get new engine/tranny mounts. You won’t be dissapointed with the results.

I have the same problem as this guy, before i did the diff change and all that i didn’t have this problem at all, even when it was driven extrmely hard so i don’t c how it coudl be a tranny problem, i m still leaning on it being diff related, i ll let you know if i figure it out.

it might just be your DIFF engaging… do u have a VLSD or 2wayLSD… they clunk when engaging

or even this i just thought… check your clutch… if its clunking really bad then it might not be engaging and dissengaging properly… might be wearing your tranny… what your explaining almost seems like hard tranny shifts in a shot auto.

sounds like the diff mounts/bushing are worn out, its a very commen problem on early 90s celicas as well, usually the clunking sounds happens when u left off the gas and back on to it

sounds like the diff mounts/bushing are worn out, its a very common problem on early 90s celicas as well, usually the clunking sounds happens when u left off the gas and back on to it

There are no bushings or mounts really for an S13 diff. It bolt’s solid to the Subframe.

Mostly likely cause is tranny mount or universals in the drive shaft. In my case I’m pretty sure its the universals because my tranny mount is good but the universals are semi-seized up and defiantly need to be replaced.

sounds like the subframe bushings, they can also do the same thing while shifting.

lift up the rear and check the subframe for play.

lol i have the same problem

my money is on the subframe bushings.