clunking sound

so…after work we’re doing brake stands in the parking lot.
i was getting some wheel hop.
when started rolling forward and drive home i was getting this thunking sound coming form the rear, kind of like my drive shaft wanted to escape.
I jacked up the car and the rear u-joint was stiff in one axis, so i got that replaced.
the problem is a little better, but i still get the thunking sound.
it is worse in 2nd and 3rd gear at wot, so the heavier the load, the worse it is.
I’ve had the suggestiong it could be the differential pinnion that is damaged.

thoughts? suggestions?

Subframe bushings?

LOL, I love when threads start like this!

Seriously though, I had something like this happen. Put your car back up and look above your drive shaft where your emergency brake line splits. I had this happen to my ride and it was freaking me out. It only made the noise when I was hard on the gas and the clunking happened at a higher frequency the faster I was going. The splitter bracket, that holds my E-brake cable, had detached from the frame and fallen down far enough that it was rubbing on my u-joint. I just fastened it back into place and problem solved.

Take a look underneath, you should be able to see rubbing marks on your drive shaft. Mine is an S14, not sure if its the same for S13 or not.

the e-brake cable is fine, the shaft is not rubbing anything, and it seems that shaft goes through harmonics vibrating in certain rpms, in certain gears only

You may have warped it. wheel hop is pretty hard on everything. Have you checked your axles, one of them may be warped as well.

haven’t really looked at those, but i don’t think they are responsible.
i had the car jacked up, and put in gear running.
the drive shaft seemed to be vibrating about 1/4",
but the input flange on the diff didn’t seem to be moving off centre at all

Axles?

its your differential its finished

that could also explain the thunk sound from the rear i get under a hard shift

i did the same thing in my black gts-t skyline and it was the diff i hate myself for doing that last burn out but it happens. So im almost 100% its your diff

well hopefully i’ll be replacing it this weekend along with the drive shaft, since the rear joint is till mucked up after getting replaced…whoops

yeah replace it and hopefully this will solve your problem

yeaaa def sounds like ur diff… a friend of mine does a lot of burn outs and such and has mashed 3 or 4 diffs like that. when u let off the throttle completely does the noise almost or completly go away?

it almost goes away

so here’s what my problem was…um…oops… haha
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7910/n59417515648782096258ke1.th.jpghttp://img114.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

hahaha, that rules man.

thats awsome…