Dual Monitor Help Needed

So I have a Dell Optiplex SX270. It has an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Controller with a DVI output.

So I bought a DVI-D Dual Link Splitter so that I could run dual monitors. The one monitor has a dual link DVI-D connector. The other has a Single Link DVI-D connector.

If I plug both into the splitter and reboot, I get the bios posts, I see the windows “I am booting up” screen(all of this cloned on both monitors), then it goes to nothing.

Also did this, windows up and running on the single DVI-D Dual link monitor. Unplug monitor, plug in splitter, plug in same DVI-D Dual linked monitor, I get nothing.

What gives? What am I doing wrong? I am under them impression that this card does allow 2 monitors because when I open the configuration software, it has the option but tells me to plug the monitor in first. Did I get the wrong Y cable?

Oh, this is windows btw

help me. I have plenty of Karma to give out.

Well if you are getting BIOS on both and then the Windows boot screen…it sounds like you just need to configure both monitors in the control panel under display/settings.

no can do, I never even get to that point where I can configure it

oh nm…I didn’t realize you lose both monitors at that point.

oh, more graphics card info: Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

Where is Kevin im sure he can fix this…

unplug one of them, then setup control panel for 2 monitors (plug the second in after you get into windows)

you’ll probably have to re-boot after that.

never used 2 on integrated video though, only ATI/nVidia

i get no signal with one monitor plugged into the splitter :-/

hmmmm… can you configure it without the splitter?

if worse comes to worse, kevin was selling a nvidia card not too long ago that should have dual DVI outputs

buy a better video card.

no can do on that, this little dell workstation is not expandable. Looks like I might be at a dead end.

actually, try this

go into device manager. delete video adapter from the list and shutdown

Re-start with both monitors plugged in and see if that fixes it. it should automatically find the driver and re-install. If that doesn’t work, look around google for some kind of utility that does what you’re looking to do

edit: look for a program called UltraMon

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel865g/sb/CS-009178.htm

on-board does not support it

oh man, how did I not see that page?

doh, that is dissapointing.