DUI check points

cheers, brother.

I saw in last nights Butler paper that they had a checkpoint in Penn township. They stopped over 500 cars, and made 9 impaired arrests.(1.8%). They did not quote the BAL of those 9.
They also handed out 28 traffic citations. Wonder what those 28 had to do with a DUI checkpoint?:mad: :mad:

Money for companies, states, feds. Same reason that these checkpoints are in place: money, but can add power to the reasons. We’re the cops and ain’t here to serve you but tickets. They claim that they are overworked fighting crime, but can find time to setup checkpoints to nit-pick everyone for hours at a time.:blah: :rant:

Boo Hoo. If you get stuck at a DUI checkpoint, and get a citation for something other than being drunk (i.e. taillight out, speeding, etc) it’s your own fault, so there’s no reason to bitch about that. They don’t give tickets out to people that don’t deserve them. Unless they are Northern Regional police.

I could agree on cheaper universities and health care, since I don’t desire Canada/UK/European’s hellish medical waiting system. We need more doctors and nurses, not government pushing medical regulations as if they knew what they are doing…:doh:

Yeah, taillight out, because we all do the 27 point walk-around inspection before getting in our cars every morning.

Punishments for victimless crimes FTL. The only thing they should enforce should be insurance, in fact insurance is all we should need for our cars, registration and inspection are pure BS when the insurance company takes fiscal responsibility for the vehicle and the operator.

I vote for the elimination of both inspection and registration, instead we should have “proof of insurance” stickers that go on the license plate.

Part of the reason that insurance is low and relatively lenient in what you insure is because they rely upon the fact that you are going to be inspected every year to make sure that your vehicle is in proper working order. I know for a fact that identical vehicle to identical vehicle, its more expensive to insure in Ohio than it is in Pennsylvania.

If there was no registration and inspection of our vehicles, the insurance company would go absolutely crazy over them and most likely require their own people to do checkovers of any vehicles that are insured. You damn well know that if they have a financial interest in the well being and proper function of your vehicle, they are going to be Nazi-ish in their inspections of them. At least, they will be far more interesting in the integrity of the vehicle than current inspection stations are because of the financial investment they have in that car being able to run well.

Long story short, there is not an easy solution to this. Removing registration and inspection does not solve the problem. Emissions though, especially for anything 96 and newer, is fucking retarded.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :jerkit: :jerkit: :wink: :wink:

Sure they don’t.

having to sit through traffic isn’t being penalized. It’s a minor inconvenience. Get over it.

I’d be willing to bet that out of those 28 citations, all 28 were deserved. I’ve often found that if I dont break the law, I dont get tickets, arrested, etc. Amazing how that works, no?

beat:

why do you like the free market economy so much? I, being one of the most conservative people ever, even believe that on of governments most vital role’s is to regulate business, and regulate it strictly. Left to their own devices, corporations do nothing but suck the money out of the lower and middle classes and deposit it right into the bank accounts of the upper class.

Right now in America the upper 10% control 85% of the nation’s wealth, while the bottom 40% of households control .3% of the nation’s wealth. Big business is turning the US into a state of indentured servitude.

That isn’t the point. If these “DUI checkpoints” are supposed to exist (and flaunt the 4th amendment) to get drunk drivers off the road, then that is the only thing they should be doing. NOT writing silly ass tickets.

Hm. Lets see.

Speeding: Your fault
Driving Drunk: Your fault
Noise violation (exhaust/stereo/etc): Your fault.
No insurance? Your fault
Not inspected? Your fault
Taillight out? Your fault
Running a red light/stop sign: Your fault

Yes, the cops give tickets out for no reason.:hsugh:

Of course, there are the (few and far between) jerkoff cops that do write up bullshit, that’s a given.

Not as few and far between as you seem to think. I have enough family on various police forces to know what goes on.
Just so you don’t think this is sour grapes, the last ticket i got was in 1987 and it was BS and the magistrate threw it out. The only other one before that was 1974. Still missing the point…sigh

Commercial vehicle drivers do it, why can’t you :confused:
What’s the difference?

I bet you dont even know where your hazards are :rofl:

Quit overly simplifying in an attempt to make a point. What Zack is saying is that if you are breaking the law, whether you know it or not, and you get caught while you are at a DUI checkpoint, then you 100% deserve to be cited for that problem.

If there was a safety checkpoint where the cops were pulling over every car in an attempt to make sure all the passengers in the vehicles had their seatbelts on and during this time, noticed that the driver of one particular car was drunk, then its bullshit for them to take that person off the road because they aren’t out there to get people under the influence, only people that aren’t wearing seatbelts?

Cops are out to enforce the law. They are not breaking the law by having DUI checkpoints so if you get caught in one and cited for anything that is actually wrong with your car or your personal well-being, then you deserve it. How could you not?

This is like people that drive for a living bitching about their owners having GPS on the vehicles now. They want to know why don’t the owners trust them, they aren’t doing anything wrong, they just want to work without being watched. Well, if you aren’t doing anything wrong and you are doing your job, then you don’t have anything to worry about. So, if you don’t want to get cited at a checkpoint, don’t break the law.

I don’t see what is so difficult about this.

The only things sucks about qualcomm, they see where your at. They will push it on to you too run the load, No matter if outta hours or not. still is annoying to tell the dispatcher that your out of hours and can’t do it. It’s a tough situation, should you push it and barely make it or get fucked with traffic and have everyone pissed, completely out of hours. Especially when just dropped a load and need some down time.

I can careless if they are tracking me, of course i would too with a few hundred thousand dollar load. But they can also monitor your speed, get a gay ass message. your goin 8mph over the speed limit slow down.

Our tax system is what keeps the distribution of wealth that way. Anyone who gets a W2 is getting screwed. Rush Limbaugh, the Clintons, the Bushes, Theresa Kerry, and many others have little to no “taxable income”, so they skate on all the shit we pay for. Once you have enough cash, you don’t have to work or pay income tax through Municipal bonds, 100% tax-free income.

Businesses need good employees. What regulation by the government made google a great place to work? The free market works, our market is not free right now, it is heavily chained.

Copy/paste from Wikipedia:

The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution states that: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Thus the Constitution would appear to prohibit people from being stopped without a search warrant or at least without probable cause that they have committed a crime.

The Michigan Supreme Court had found sobriety roadblocks to be a violation of the Fourth Amendment. However, in a 6-3 decision, the United States Supreme Court found properly conducted sobriety checkpoints to be constitutional. Michigan Department of State Police vs. Sitz (1990) Although acknowledging that such checkpoints infringed on a constitutional right, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued that the state interest in reducing drunk driving outweighed this minor infringement.

Dissenting justices argued that the Constitution doesn’t provide exceptions. “That stopping every car might make it easier to prevent drunken driving … is an insufficient justification for abandoning the requirement of individualized suspicion”, dissenting Justice Brennan insisted.

Chief Justice Rehnquist argued that an exception was justified because sobriety roadblocks were effective and necessary. On the other hand, dissenting Justice Stevens countered that “the findings of the trial court, based on an extensive record and affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals, indicate that the net effect of sobriety checkpoints on traffic safety is infinitesimal and possibly negative.” And even if roadblocks were effective, the fact that they work wouldn’t justify violating individuals’ constitutional rights, some justices argued.

Although the U.S. Supreme Court has found sobriety checkpoints to be constitutionally permissible, eleven states have found that sobriety roadblocks violate their own state constitutions or have outlawed them.[1]

The matter is often hotly argued, with some reporting that roving patrols are the more effective way to identify impaired drivers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, after extensive field studies, concluded that “the number of DWI arrests made by the roving patrol program was nearly three times the average number of DWI arrests made by the checkpoint programs”.

While the supreme court does in fact admit that these checkpoints DO violate the 4th amendment, the majority opinion was that “state interest in reducing drunk driving outweighed this minor infringement.” Nowhere does it say anything about writing tickets. IMHO, the supreme court got this one wrong (Just like they got Kelo wrong).
I also find it interesting that the NHTSA study confirms what i had said, that roving patrols are much more effective at finding impaired drivers (without infringing on 4th amendment rights).

Right on Blackbelt.

It is amazing to me that our court system can openly violate the constitution, and people are gullible enough to think that it is for the good of the populace.

Wake up you freaking lemmings, security at the expense of liberty is no security at all.

Here is the battle…which side are you on?

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” – Benjamin Franklin

“The American people must be willing to give up a degree of personal privacy in exchange for safety and security.” – FBI Director Louis Freeh, 1994

Damn straight.

I enjoy the fact that you have not answered one question that I have posed in my last 2 or 3 posts. You just want to argue and I guess get a kick out of copying things from Wikipedia, which I remind you are edited freely by people from the internet community and are by no means guaranteed to be factually correct at any time.

But that’s okay, you won’t reply to any of this either, you’ll go off on another tangent in an attempt to prove your point. I have a funny feeling your tune would change if you or someone you loved got smashed by a drunk driver.