DVI->HDMI

Sup guys! I got TimerWarner HD cable and Sony LCD XBR1 TV. The cable is the Explorer 3250HD. It has a DVI conntion and component for HD. I thought DVI is suppose to be better than component? I use a DVI->HDMI cable to hook up to the TV and test out some of the HD channels. It seems that the picture quality is not as good as the component connection? Any inputs guys? Thanks.

I’ve had the same results with my 4 year old Sony CRT projection HDTV. Both with Adelphia’s DVI out and DishNetworks HDMI out. For some reason I just get better picture quality via component. I’ve even go so far as to recalibrate everything with the Avia disk, and I still like the look of he component connection better.

Component or composite cause they are 2 very different things. I guess its possible for the component to look better but it still seems odd.

Sorry…it’s Component…which TimerWarner provides when they hook up the cable.

Weird, i dunno…

Samsung DLP

I had the TW HD noDVR settop - hdmi > component

With the Dish HD settop - DVI > component

Whereas, at my mothers house with a Phillips Ambilight Plasma…

TW HD Settop - Component > HDMI.

:meh:

Some of the Sony’s I’ve worked on can’t handle a 1080i signal through their HDMi ports. If you back it off to 720p, its fine. Just at 1080i it looks kinda blurry and twice now I’ve had it where the screen blinks on and off and you lose audio. I’m thinking it may be a design flaw. I don’t know exact models, just that both were Sony big screens (50"+), one was a plasma, one was DLP projection. I have never had any issues with any of the other brands. Just Sony’s. Just my $.02 of my experiences with them.

Mine is only 40" Bravia XBR1. HD is still kinda blurry. I will have to do some re-search.

Its a conflict between the box and Tv set.