HDMI Problems?

Alright guys,

What I have.

32" LCD HDTV by LG
Sony Sound System (don’t member model number but it’s awesome)
Xbox 360 Pro
Rogers HD
Blu-Ray

Some may consider this important…some may not. I sit maybe 6-7’ away from my T.V

Problem.

I buy HD shit…so i can watch and play HD shit. For whatever reason I can not get the quality I want or even see at the stores.

I just bought the HDMI cable for my 360. Right away noticed the sound is a lot better. The video…well i only noticed it got a lot darker. I tried fucking around with my T.V’s settings…no dice. I’m really not up to date with this technology shit.

Going to hook up my Blu-Ray tonight as well…

any pointers?

what are you trying to watch

what are you using to watch what youre trying to watch

last night i purchased the hdmi cable and installed it from my 360 directly to my tv. as i said sound seemed to improve. picture did not.

basically last night i as trying to set up a nice clear picture on my 360…i failed.

tonight i am going to install my blu-ray through hdmi.

if that did not answer your question, i do not understand what your asking…sorry

are you trying to watch hd dvd movies on the 360, using it as an hd-dvd player?

bah… forget the xbox for one sec.

hook up the blu ray player using hdmi and play a high quality BD movie like dark knight. you should def notice a much sharper picture

however you wont get the benefit of the best sound (PCM, TrueHD or DTS-HD lossless) unless your receiver or blu-ray player supports it, and unless its connected with HDMI as well

there are a few variables at stake here, so diagnosing the problem would be like trying to diagnose a “noise” you heard with your car, over the internet. need more info :wink:

i will try and see what i can do tonight. if no luck…well you’ll know because i’ll post here lol.

i was not trying to watch hd movies in my 360 though. just 360 games.

just saying basically that i installed an hdmi cable from my 360 to my T.V instead of the blue red and green cables. i’m going to get another 2 sets of hdmi cables right now for my cable and blu-ray.

i will definetley let you know whats up.

Thanks so much,

Chris

what is the model of the TV?
maybe you don’t have 1080p on it… just 1080i and 720p

Yea, the tv is most likely only 1080i/720p, thus, the component (red,green,blue) cables can deliver 1080i signal, and you will notice no difference because you have not actually changed the signal going to the tv (tv will not display 1080p, which is why HDMI cables are used for true HD).

on another note, does your receiver for your home theater have HDMI? if so, run all your devices through it, and one hdmi cable to your tv for video, and you will get the best possible sound.

on anothernother note, make sure that you have your xbox’s settings set to display 1080p (if your tv can handle it) or the highest resolution that your tv will display (720p looks better then 1080i to me, progressive signal is usually better, but its your own preference, try both). You wouldn’t believe how many people are very unhappy with their highdef equipment because they have no clue whatsoever how to set it up properly. Things aren’t just plug and play anymore like they were in the age of VCRs.

Umm…really i am new T.V/entertainment shit illiterate.

Lith;

I can NOT for the life of me find the paper work/manual/receipt or anything for my t.v. Which pisses me off a bit more. Anyways.

The model number (don’t know if this helps at all???) is 32LC7D

I am pretty confident it does hoes 1080p because when i set my x-box up i was not sure. Yet when i tried 1080i it did not work and sent me back to select another…number?

spynn56;

As i said to Lith, i am quite confident it is 1080p. I have component, av, HDMI, cable, optical, usb…everything on the back of my T.V.

No. The ht does not have HDMI hookups. It’s probably…7 years old? for the size of my room…this thing sounds amazing. If it could get better…well damn!!! Let’s do it.

I do know that my 360 is set to 1080p.

You last two sentences describe me in detail right now lol.

Spd-dmn;

I think i understand your question.
My 360 is hooked up through HDMI/DVI # 1

To all;

I went to Best Buy and The Source. I Learned that there is a speed rating on the HDMI cables that makes a huge difference in quality (and price) Therefore i am thinking my “shit quality” is due to a “shit” cable? It was fuckin 20 bucks. Yet i did not know at the time. I was told that my 360 needs 750? Blu-ray is 800 and up? Yadda-Yadda. Really I am a fucking idiot when it comes to this stuff. PLEASE help me out. I am extremely agitated with this. I have a couple grand invested…and not nearly as satisfied as i should be.

Sorry for the long ass post…just trying to be clear as possible.

Unlike my fuckin T.V

or whatever it is???](*,)

If your tv is only capable of 1080i, don’t use it. Use the 720p setting, it will look much better.

Things to consider for max picture quality and sound quality. Its like a chain, the quality is only as good as your weakest link.

Video

1. is the media HD (Blue Ray disc, HD disc, HD cable or sat., HD Video files)
  2. is your dvd player/xbox/cable box/sat box/computer capable and set to output 720p or 1080p
  3. do your cables support 720P and 1080p(hdmi)
  4. does your display support 720 and 1080p and is it set to display that resolution

Audio

1. does your audio receiver support Dolby Digital and or DTS via optical,Coax or HDMI
  2. is your audio receiver set to receive and output those formats
  3. does your media player output Dolby Digital and or DTS and is is set to output them
  4. does your media contain Dolby Digital and or DTS formats and have you selected them to play

I think that speed rating crap is all a load of shit. Its Monster propaganda to get you to spend more money.

People will tell you that some optical cables are better than others. Its f’n digital, the signal either gets there or it doesn’t. if it doesn’t then you’ve f’d your cable.

just because your tv has hdmi, does not mean its 1080p. Mine has HDMI, but its only 720p. 1080p is pretty much entirely useless on tvs smaller then 50", due to the human eye wont see that many lines. i just did a quick google and the native resolution is 1366x768, which is 720p. So, buying that hdmi cable was useless, the component will suit you just fine, but the HDMI cable will allow you to playback better audio streams then just 2ch stereo. So set your xbox to 720p and enjoy. Use that hdmi cable for your bluray player, set it to 720p and enjoy.

also, cable could be the issue, but i doubt it. I have a $90 cable and 3 $8 (yes, eight dollars) HDMI cables and they all look exactly the same for my media center and bluray player.

also, anybody in here have a bluray player with 720p? post some settings that you are useing for best quality, it could help out everybody who reads this. i am still making adjustments for mine to look as best possible, but im not really seeing anything mindblowing like i expected.

i switched my 360 to 720…i do not notice a difference.

i give up for now., i need to find my manual for my tv lol.

its not going to be an improvement, what you see is what you get. you were already broadcasting the signal from the xbox to the tv in 1080i with the component video cables for your xbox. that is the maximum resolution that your tv can display, 720p/1080i. 720p will look a bit better then 1080i because it is progressive, but for xbox games you probably wont notice a difference.

^^ aye

need to update your video hardware to get so-called “true HD”, which is 1080p

and your audio hardware updated to decode or at least process pre-decoded HD audio (like the ones i mentioned above)

1080i Sucks, the only reason it even exists is to confuse people with 1080p.
1080i is only 540 actual lines of resolution, all they’ve done is doubled each line. 720p should look pretty sharp.

lol chris

stick with cars

call the geek squad

ah peter, you make me fuckin laugh lol

but on that not i have an installer from future shop coming over to “hook me up”

i love knowing people. freeeeeeeeeeeeebe

I searched your tv and your highest setting is 720p so what you were getting before with your green blue and whatever cables is what your going to get, but it should still look good so i dunnoo. But to whoever said 1080p[ is pointless on tvs less than 50" I dunno bout you but on my 46" I sure as hell notice a diff between 720p and 1080p it depends on your tv.

heres my baby.

maybe these will help?

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video_lcd%20flat%20panel__32LC7D.jhtml

edit: i have no idea why…but the spec sheet shows a plasma…mine is not it IS LCD!

its also 720p, this thread should end now, picture is best its gonna get. try messing with the video settings (backlight, contrast, color, etc), those are your last options.