HDMI Cables

I just bought a new TV last weekend. I picked up a 42" LG plasma and the salesman was telling me that i needed a special type of HDMI cable to handle the speed of the TV. I’ve never heard anything about that and just told him i had extra cables laying around. I went to walmart to pickup a 3ft cable for $27. Now should i just man up and get a 750 or 1000 type of HDMI cable or is that just a way to increase there sales?

…What the hell?

The content your throwing at the TV dosent change, how does a ‘faster’ TV make any difference at all in the cables?

The cable you got will work just fine.

Okay that was my question. The guy lead me to believe i needed a special one.

It’s called salesmanship

You shouldn’t have even spent $27 when they can be had for $4.

take it back to wal-mart and stop by my house and pick up one of my extra ones lol.

Well there is a difference in quality of a cable…slightly noticeable but still a difference…

check out newegg.com…In my experience you can buy it and have it shipped for less then what you’d pay at bestbuy

unless you have like a 50"plus pioneer or better just buy the cheap HDMI

Agreed

Why it is digital?

It doesn’t matter if you have a 10" or 100" TV…

HDMI is digital signal, ones and zeros being sent across it, unless you’re talking a long run, there is no difference in a $5 hdmi and a $500 hdmi, unless your talking about it lasting 100+ years later.

Thanks for all the info fellas :tup: Appreciate the offer, Jason

monoprice.com

Never pay outstanding pricing on HDMI cables ever again.

so far, everything that has been said on here is INCORRECT. HDMI DOES NOT MAINTAIN DIGITAL SIGNAL across the cable. On the contrary, HDMI is a cable with high enough bandwith to transfer a digital signal by means of 10-20 single strands of analog signal feeds internally. To make this more clear for all the “A/V PROS” out there, for example: cable box can have digital signal which is then transfered to the TV(component video or HDMI which are both analog signal transfers) then the TV will process it digitally or atleast that’s what the manufacturers tell us. If you don’t believe me, take any mid to high end LCD OR PLASMA with the digital tuner built in and take a decent HDTV antenna and compare the sunday football game from CBS from the antenna to the cable box. Depending on the signal strength, 9 times out of 10 then antenna with NO HDMI CABLES will look deeper and richer and cleaner then cable or satellite box.

In certain regards, like a person who has a 42" 720p plasma, buying the 1000 series monster cable is not worth it for their cable/satellite box. On the other hand, the person with a 1080p 120 hz LCD utilizing a blu-ray would benefit from the 1000 series or even 800 series HDMI because a) the 120 hz panel and b) the higher resolution player and display.

With Monster HDMI’s in particular, each level is rated at different “speeds” and for different color depth processing. As previously stated, the customer with the 720p plasma is not going to benefit from the better internal construction, higher bandwidth, and faster transfer rate. So all in all, alot comes down to your tv and what your source is. Yes, you can be super cheap and go buy the $4 off “supercheapcables.com” but if thats the case, go buy a proton plasma and you won’t see any difference. If you are buying a decent product like LG or samsung panasonic or a good product like sony and sharp, spend the extra $30 and get a good cable to maximize whatever that TV is capable of.

\END RANT/

LOL

^^ you sound like you work at best buy or circiut shitty. Monster still offering 10% spiffs on their overpriced garbage?

Take a look at this…

about 5:45 in, there’s no difference in picture quality… just price.

i can’t wait to hear his response to that. ////\

LOL@scsilver2… go out and spend $200 bucks on your Monster cables. I have a $200 Monster HDMI (didn’t pay 200 though) and a $4 monoprice and I can honestly say my eyes can’t tell the difference and by no means do I have a cheap POS tv that doesn’t utilize the difference.

hahaha where should I start? First of all, you would be lucky if you could find 1 or 2 people in a CC or Best buy store that knew their heads from their butts when it really came down to it. Actually I dont even need to defend myself because obviously, reading wasn’t exactly your strong suit. If you read my post, those higher quality, higher speed, brand name cables are best utilized with Blu-ray, not some horribly distorted and converted 10-fold image like what those clowns were watching in your selected “smart shopper” clip. I don’t even sell this stuff, being an informed consumer is more like it. If you want real information, go on an A/V forum and read up- youtube is like wikipedia or watching FOXNEWS for political information.:picard:

Post or PM your equipment, once again I never meant for you people to think that a brand name or expensive( subjective) cable was necessary for your $100 DVD player or cable/sat box. Read up!

maybe a higher end rediculously expensive HDMI is good for an Audio or Videophile, but for your average consumer $4 or less HDMI cables FTW.