When will the madness end?

Do people really buy these things?

Nearly every single review for that cable is amazing.

I was going to buy a $2.82 hdmi cable on amazon and then I came across this masterpiece, and I knew I had to do whatever it takes to get it. After getting a 3 month advance on my salary thanks to the fine folks at the check cashing place who only charged me a 35% interest rate, I was in business to finally own one of these beauties. Because of the price amazon decided to send the hdmi cable by armored car. Originally I was going to use the money to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend, but I came upon this cable and decided this could keep me warm at night all by itself. So I dumped the girlfriend, and now when not in use, this cable tucks itself in next to me all snug and warm. It even reads bed time stories to me from time to time which help with my night terrors.

As to when this cable is plugged in, oh wow, the picture literally jumps off the screen and into my living room. It even makes commercials come alive, there was one for the angus burger at mcd’s and I was hungry and all i had to do was reach out towards the screen and grab it and bam dinner was served. You have to be careful with that feature though because you will gain weight spending too much time on the couch. The best part is I dont even own a tv, I plugged this thing into 2 pieces of cardboard and some chewing gum, and bam I had 500 channels. I dont know how that happened, but one of the armored car drivers did resemble Macgyver. Hurry out and get one before they get bought up!!

Companies should be able to sell anything they want.

If you don’t like it, simply do not purchase it. It really is that simple.

I need to buy some cables, shine them up and wait for retards to click buy.

How simple is it? That simple? Really?

Im going to start taking my blood, drop it in a jar, and sell AIDS in a jar.

Still think companies should be able to sell whatever they want?

pwned

Lol…

^ haha

how much?

Are you suggesting the government ban the sale of items you would not purchase?

It’s not very clear as to what your argument is, aside from blind irrational hatred of $2,694.75 HDMI cables.

But something can only be worth so much…

No. That second post was more so to mock you.

Blind irrational hatred of a $2,694.75 HDMI cable? Well, it’s not really blind since I can clearly see the outrages price knowing that digital cables either work or they dont. A $12 HDMI cable will do the same.

Irrational hatred? Youre an idiot.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Wait, you paid a ridiculous amount for your HDMI cables didn’t you?

It sure was silly of me to believe that companies should be allowed to pick the price at which their non-essential product sells. Unless it’s cheap, clearly there must be no use for its existence.

Do you understand what ‘digital’ is? Cables can, and do, make a very real and measurable impact on how a digital stream is perceived. It’s stunningly obvious how little you understand the subject.

Oh you really want to go there? I actually have a degree in computer science so listen up.

A digital signal, as opposed to analog, is made up of 1’s and 0’s. 1 being and electrical pulse and the 0 being no pulse. Therefore, if a cable can transfer those 1’s and 0’s, it will perform exactly the same as another cable that can transfer those little 1’s and 0’s.

Anything else sweetie?

Actually there is one more thing:

You way overpaid for your HDMI cable! Ahahaha

Because more expensive means better right?

on the topic of HDMI cables specifically. I get to see a LOT of different TV’s and different cables combinations and I can tell you that the $3 cables preform just as well as the $70 cables when you are dealing with short distances. Long cable runs however do suffer from a great deal if the cables are not properly shielded. I do not think that is the point you are trying to drive home though. If they want to market a cable for a couple grand and someone buys is then hell yeah good for them!

This is called attenuation. The typical home theater will not suffer from this. It happens over fairly large distances.

Why do you suppose high speed cables, such as ethernet, come in twisted pairs? And why do they vary the pitch of the twist amongst the quad pairs? In the real world, there is something called noise. It’s nearly impossible to eliminate, irrespective of the frequency the device operates at. Of course, the impact becomes more significant as the frequency and desired bandwidth increases. You can spend a lifetime researching this subject and still not make a perfect cable. Standards are created with sufficient tolerance, such that the cables will appear to work ideally most of the time. It’s application dependent as to if the signal degradation is significant.

These 1’s and 0’s you speak of, are made up of a relatively high, and relatively low voltage. The transition between these two voltages can never be instantaneous. It’s not uncommon for an error to occur, where some form of magnetic or electrical noise shifts the signal such that it is sufficiently below the high or low threshold. Luckily, most modern standards use a form of error correct code, so this can be readily sorted out. However, this is not always the case. It becomes especially apparent as the length of the cable increases, and will reach a point at which the cable no longer functions whatsoever. For HDMI, this threshold is often surprisingly low.

What makes the newer HDMI standards capable of higher bandwidth than the older standards, when the effective pinout has not changed?

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Absolutely. For the vast majority of consumers, the lowest cost cable they can purchase will work just fine. They typically have very low quality construction, and will likely end up failing after repeated flexing, disconnects, or vibration. However, this tends to not be important to most consumers. Especially when you factor in the average consumers main priority, cost.

If a company wants to make an expensive HDMI cable, they should be able to do so. The consumer should be capable of deciding if that product works for them. I’m not saying anyone should go out and buy a high end HDMI cable, or that it will even make a perceivable difference on an average setup. I simply don’t see why it’s such a large concern.

so basically keep the TV away from the microwave and you can use the cheap cable, gotcha!

there are cheap digital cables that suck, and there are cheap digital cables that are good. Just because it’s digital doesn’t mean there are not errors. If you’ve got $30,000 into your home theater it might make sense to buy a little insurance by going with one of the more proven brands any paying a little more since it’s the pipeline for everything. Certainly not as much as the one at the top. For the average consumer monoprice cables with the right rating are good enough.

I own 5 of them and wear them as necklaces.

People sell Chicken Pox laced lollypops, and the government is banning the sale of those.