HDMI Cables

an av forum like avsforum.com? Yeah, been there for a while and the vast majority (less a few like you) prefer the cables from monoprice.com for $1.84.

I dare you to find me a clip that proves a monster cable produces a cleaner signal than any other HDMI cable out there.

EDIT: is cnet a good source?

a clip? as in a video clip from youtube or the such? Won’t find one.

Do you plan on watching blu-ray 24/7?

Far as i know, hdmi cables can handle blu-ray’s 48mbps data rate just fine.

I’ve had the chance to hook up a $6 monoprice and a $120 BB monster cable to a plasma elite, and while i didn’t get to play with blu-ray, noone in the room could tell a difference.

ok then I’ll take your word for it… where’s my wallet.

Here’s another idiot from avsforum ^

:banghead:

here’s an article from gizmodo that argues both ways, it shows that YOUR cables from monoprice hold up fairly well AT 6FT, seems like they think the midgrade cables are the rip off.

you guys decide! http://http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-268788.php

eh, it’s subjective

when you look at the technology it’s all the same. All cables have to pass HDMI certification for each HDMI revision (1.1,1.2,1.3). All you’re really paying for is a well made cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx

a lot of good info

So a $2 cable performed the same as a $120 cable? Please help me understand why you would choose a monster cable? Even in the long runs (where they both “failed”) I’m sure the difference is negligible. Oh wait… I don’t even have to say that, because part three of the link you posted is here:

And concludes this:

• It never pays to buy a Monster cable first. It doesn’t even make sense to buy the “marked down” $50 cable you can buy if you don’t want Monster. Go online, order your cables, and wait.

and this:

• The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins. Fortunately for Monster, there are plenty of those people. They’re not even suckers, they are just rich as hell, and want the best. This testing did not prove that Monster is not the best. It just proved that the best is, for the most part, unnecessary.

All you need to know is DO NOT buy cables from retailers. Places like BB and CC have about %1000 markups on HDMI cables and various other accessories. And no, I’m not kidding.

All three parts, for those who are too lazy to search for themselves. A great read, BTW…I remember reading it when it was first posted.

scsilver2, how “danceable” are your cables??? :banghead:

:lol:

Edit:

Monoprice.com FTW, by the way.

To an Untrained eye, maybe you wont notice the difference, to people who care enough about their picture quality, and notice the fine details, Monster wins hands down.

You have to see it with your own eyes, some compressed fucking video clip, isnt going to do shit.

Think of a blu-ray data stream as a pool full of water, and the hdmi cable is a drain pipe.

The bigger the pipe, the less compression, the better it flows

Thats the difference with the different levels of hdmi 1.0 to 1.3. as well as the GBPS they are rated for.

Technically all cables with the HDMI logo on them are certified by the HDMI organization, but lots of them slip through the cracks. The HDMI organization has very little power over manufacturers.

Another fun part of the cheap ass hdmis is when the ends fucking fall off. Had this happen when wall mounting a tv with a wal-mart cable.

The old cliche of you get what you pay for is true.

but since this wont convince any of you people, I wont bother responding.

i can get you a deal , just let me know i got all HDMI cables

of course cheap cables are going to blow (not price cheap, made cheap). Not all cables that have an HDMI logo are certified either… they’re “supposed” to be but that’s never stopped China :P. Go with a proven inexpensive brand vs monster and you’ll never notice the difference.

Besides, I bet the person who bought “monster” thinking that they’re future proofing will be pissed when a higher resolution standard/over 8 channel audio is implemented and they’re expensive cables can no longer support the bandwidth

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but don’t fully agree with you either. And for 1.3 HDMI atleast, the analogy should be more like throwing a sausage down a hallway :stuck_out_tongue: current 8channel 1080P doesn’t stream enough data to bottle neck a certified 1.3 cable

on that note, I’m sure the monsters, being that their built to high standards, will hold up better and be more effective at long ranges, 99% of the consumer population probably has no real need for it

ok heres my take

monster sucks, and if your that concerned get a GOOD cable like those found at bettercables.com or audioquest

Jesus christ… did you read any of the links posted?

A better quality HDMI cable may be able to handle more bandwidth, and have better noise rejection, thicker silver plated conductors… etc.

But when it comes down to it, unless youre running some crazy long run thats exceeding the HDMI 1.3 spec, any cheapo cable is going to work. But, if you plan on ever unplugging the cable often, dont get the cheapest you can find, get a 24AWG or thicker if you can, the really cheap $5 cables will break in a week. But what did you expect, it was $5.

And yes, you can get a uber badass HDMI cable and it will make effectively no difference. But thats not saying its not worth the extra money.

And you people all know Monster is just the cheapest china cable available with thicker insulation to make it look beefier, and some fancy packaging… Right?
The higher end monoprice cables are very good for the price, similar to what AudioQuest offers.