Dynoed!

well, i finally had my car tuned, although it was 88 F and on the verge of thunderstorms out last thursday.

i have simple upgrades on my CA; walbro 255, 300ZX fuel filter, DSM injectors, S-AFC 2, HKS GT2530, Greddy 10x10x4 FMIC, Greddy VVC, and 3" turbo-back exhaust.

last year before the upgrades i dynoed 160 whp and 170 ft lbs on a different dyno, but same hot conditions, about 80 F and high humidity. (dynojet, i think)

i pulled 204 whp and 180 ft lbs on 16psi, nothing too impressive, but i believe i’m safe to assume there’d be 250 crank on a cool day. (mustang dyno)

i’m going back to the first dyno on monday, after fixing a wastegate actuator issue. boost comes in much sooner now, but i’m still not maxing out the stock maf. that’s fine with me, i’m kind of comfortable in knowing my car doesn’t make enough power to warrant worrying about it breaking. :smiley:

that doesnt sound right…only 204 horse??? at 16 psi??? what dyno are you using??? sounds a litle low…

I stated right in my post dude. Mustang Dyno.

FYI there’s 4% air correction for every 10 F above 68 F. so 88 F is 8% correction. my car would be closer to 220 whp on a 20 degree day. plus, you missed the big part; 40 whp more than when i got the car. i’m satisfied with my setup.

Nice man sounds good, you have any graphs?

As long as you are satisfied.

ps 220 on 16 psi is still nothing. There is something definetly wrong with your set-up.

you think so? i was hoping for bigger #'s, but it’s still only a gt2530, not a disco potato. the gt28rs is quite a bit larger iirc.

i’ve checked my piping and vacuum lines over and over. my only guess right now is that the turbo is used and has a little in-out shaft play, making it take longer to build boost. i see 7 psi at 3000 rpm instantly, but it climbs much differently to 16 psi at 4000.

sometimes i wish i were there in edmonton, or calgary to have someone come for a ride along and just tell me what’s not right.

yes! i’m going to scan it asap. then put the side by side on my cardomain.

but monday, i’m still going back, so this will be an interim report. i want to go back to the dynojet and see what happens. plus my friend keeps telling me that they’ll tune it out better.

my car was seeing really hot IATs that day, and just punishing it with fuel. we were ok with 11.5’s and 11.0’s, then did another run after idling the car and they just went down to 10s. and kept staying rich, no matter what we pulled on the AFC. it was just too hot of a day to do consecutive runs like that.

you think so? i was hoping for bigger #'s, but it’s still only a gt2530, not a disco potato. the gt28rs is quite a bit larger iirc.

i’ve checked my piping and vacuum lines over and over. my only guess right now is that the turbo is used and has a little in-out shaft play, making it take longer to build boost. i see 7 psi at 3000 rpm instantly, but it climbs much differently to 16 psi at 4000.

sometimes i wish i were there in edmonton, or calgary to have someone come for a ride along and just tell me what’s not right.[/quote]

a stock sr with a t25 and 15 psi will dyno around 250 at the wheels…you should also be around that mark.

I just located your problem.

“i have simple upgrades on my CA”.

you think 10.5:1 afr’s would cause that? should i see 20-30 more hp with 12:1’s?

my timing is at 15 degrees right now, and i also ran 94 ethanol. Brian Wall at Wall’s Rod said not to use Ethanol, and just use 91, which will keep tempuratures down, and detonation lower. we didn’t see any detonation on the dyno though.

LOL. yea, i should run EMS and a proper FMIC setup. but i’m done with spending alot more money on this car.

here’s the dyno graph. as you can see, there was a problem building boost (wastegate actuator had no pre-load, and hence leaking boost)

I don’t know tons about the CA, but I agree you should have more HP. and your tuning seems VERY conservative. better safe than sorry, but maybe not so much? I would find some guys that have tuned multiple CA’s and get some better tuning advice perhaps?

theres your problem should be at 25 if im not correct…does it feel lazy when u tromp on it…like make alot of noise and go nowhere if so u need to advance your timing by at least 5 degrees???
and u should be making close to 280 with that setup…
i was making 230rwhp @1.0bar just with a GTR FMIC, 3" exhaust, and a T25G (sr20det turbo)…

[quote=“sil_eightyRPS13”]

theres your problem should be at 25 if im not correct…does it feel lazy when u tromp on it…like make alot of noise and go nowhere if so u need to advance your timing by at least 5 degrees???
and u should be making close to 280 with that setup…
i was making 230rwhp @1.0bar just with a GTR FMIC, 3" exhaust, and a T25G (sr20det turbo)…[/quote]

stock timing is 15 degrees.

i was thinking i would be making 250-280 whp, but i’m not sure if the stock clutch would hold that. it doesn’t appear to slip though. i’m hoping to get the tune to 12:1 AFR’s tonight. should be a much better day for it, because it’s going to be alot cooler.

Yeah, cool that you know what the numbers are… but that seems low… for a boosted car… and higher boost…

But if your happy then you just did your goal and congrats!

have you done a compression check lately?

last compression check was after we put in a new headgasket. 170’s across.

people always hate mustang numbers. They will be much better on a dynojet. Somthing like 22% I had a RB25 Ceffy on a dyno a year ago at Supra Fest in Kelowna and only made 187hp and 157tq but I know just by driving the car it was just fine and was still a very fast car, nothing wrong with the set up whatso ever. I think they were sayin that if it was on a dynojet at that show that it would have had well over 200hp. Atleast all the 500hp Supra guys were sayin so! The ceffy was Jeff’s car. He is on this forum and he himself can tell you that his car has much more than a meesly 180 :stuck_out_tongue:

hmm thanks for that info. i wasn’t sure if the Mustang dyno read lower or higher than others. i know people here generally dynoed lower with imports on their Mustang dyno.

187hp RB25??? yikes :rolleyes: dissapointing that is worse than stock