E Test

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I just got an etest done and it failed NO ppm. the limit is 0727 and i got 1248
just wondering if anyone knows what this problem could be?

ppm = parts per million?

I haven’t looked at my e-test results sheet in a while, but I’ll take a stab at it.

How old is your car, how many km’s and has the cat ever been replaced?

I would assume that your cat may be filled with so much crud that it isn’t working as efficiently as it did before. Perhaps you need to replace your cat?

retard your ignition timing back a few degrees.

SEA FOAM

the egr valve is not working properly, you might be able to fix it by removing it and cleaning it and or the tube is blocked with carbon. For the most part a cat will drop HC.

a cat will drop all the numbers
the best way to test the egr is hook up a vacum pump to the valve and make sure it holds vacum or the valve is no good after that you will have to clean out the egr passages

thanks guys i’ll try a few of those things. the car is an 89 with about 260k. i just replaced the exhaust on it including the cat so maby the egr valve just needs a good cleaning.

dont use seafoam unless your prepared my man… ive heard of people using seafoam and it breaks away carbon that was holding together rings and such so u loose compression and a few other problems… pretty much… use at own discretion

^^ carbon shouldn’t be holding together rings.

I haven’t heard too many bad stories about seafoam, but i don’t think it would be a good idea to let the engine suck it up by vacuum all at once.

Also, a good way to break down some of the carbon is to run meth (i.e. meth injection). Helps break down the carbon for sure.

Check to see if your cat needs to be replace, and check to see if the egr is indeed functioning would be the first area to look at.

i’m telling you the first thing you should be looking at is the egr and ensuring it will hold vacum also making sure it is getting vacum also ensuring the egr passages are clear of obstructions. i’m trying to help you if you don’t want it don’t ask for it trust me when i tell you this

i failed my test for the same reason! i was pissed. change the cat. after i did mine i passed with a 100 or somthing it was awsome. 100 bucks at ct for the universal one.

if u getting another cat… get a 3-way cat…
the ones came w/ most 240 are 2 way only which does not do nething to NOX
EGR takes cares of the NOX