EGR ???

Hi guys…I went to get my car emissions tested and it FAILED !!!

THe geezer said it was the EGR that was messed up…so what is an EGR where is it and how can i fix it ???

PLZ HELP AS I DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT 240 BUT REALLY WANT TO LEARN !!!

EGR(V) = Exhaust Gas Recirculatory Valve

It takes the un-burnt gas from the engines exhaust and reuses some of it by
flowing it through this valve back into your intake ensuring that it all gets burnt.

post the values you failed on. We can help a little more then.

ok guys it falied NO ppm, the limit is 836 but the car result was 1162.

The guy said it may be the EGR or the catalytic converter. I know the whole exhaust system needs to be changed but that gonna cost at least $500-$700 and i just wanna get that car past its emission test…

What is the best thing to do ?

You don’t need no stinkin’ EGR… or AIV for that matter. I took both out from my motor and passed with flying colors. I find that the O2 sensor and cat help out alot more then the EGR or AIV.

I would say CAT is to blame. Adam didn’t you have probs with NO and it was the CAT. I would say CAT, but Adam will varify it.

Andrew.

hey i dont want to but into this thread but i had the same problem i fail on N0ppm as well wit the same kinda numbers but i aslo have a brand new cat? id be interested if any new ideas pope outta this
thanks
Cheers
Chris

Cat is key as with O2 Sensor.

Run Petro Super Clean for a Week Prior to the test, Retard timing 2deg,
Run No Intake Filter, Change O2 Sensor etc. All good tricks to passing.

Ok not to go off topic too much, and not to make the people that failed feel bad. I passed my emissions, but i have a question whats that dilution value all about. Also a tip, i heard changing the oil helps. That’s sort of obvious but thought I’d throw it in.

Alright guys so you saying change the cat, O2 sensor, run petro clean change the plugs and an oil change ?

I will try all this and go for the test and let you guys know if it works

hey 240sxplz, my car failed emissions too when I first got it because of the EGR. The place I took it to knew what the problem was and serviced it for 60 bucks and it passed the 2nd time around.

It looks like all he did was use electrical tape around the EGR lines. May be wrong, but what I’m saying is maybe you can take it to another place that knows exactly what the problem is and maybe they can fix the problem for less. If you have the same problem I did, $60 to get it serviced and passed is cheaper than what it would cost to change your cat, plugs, etc.

But I do advise that you change to superclean glass for a week though, as I have heard it helps with emissions testing. Make sure you have an empty tank before doing so though.

Try a bottle of ‘sure pass’ as well.