E36 guys step in....heater core issue and questions

that’ll buff out

Shoulda looped it like I said man. LoL

What hopen?

Damn wtf happened

Guess:

Coolant leaking behind the dash made its way into the wiring harness / ecu and burned the baby down.

This is the general consensus. When it started to short, it kicked the starter over a few times lurching the car backwards and knocking it into a brick pillar. Pillar fell over and lifted the rear of the car off the ground. The fire marshal said he had never seen anything like that (starting by itself) and once I told him about the heater core, he said that the steam prob burnt some insulation off the wires and caused the short to start. Once it started smoldering, it just went from there.

Funny relatable story: I had some water get into a fuse block on a truck of mine that would jump the starter relay. It would sit there trying to start until the battery died. It was a stick but luckily I had left it in neutral with the parking brake on otherwise it would have drove away on the starter. lol

for sale?

Car went to the scrap yard yesterday………got $250 for her :frowning: should have parted it out but don’t have the time or facilities to do so at the moment.