E46 xenon headlight problem

Ok so i picked up a 2002 e46 about a month ago. One thing it needed was some new headlights. was going to replace with Halogen but found a decent dead on xenon headlights and balists. The problem i am having is once in about 10 times i turn them on there is a power surge and my Cluster freaks out and resets my clock, and a few other things. Anyone know of something i can do to prevent this? know a few of you guys are good with electrical. Looked on google alrdy and am getting mixed reviews for a fix.

Are they OEM or depo lights? Not sure if the e46 requires the new headlights to be coded like on other models.

The 01/02 can be coded/flashed. But alot are saying that’s for if they won’t turn on or flicker. Little is known what to do with the cluster problem. Unless I missed it.

Has it always done this or is it something new? If its something new take it and get it tested. A weak battery in a BMW will cause it to do all sorts of insane things.

Yeah check your battery first. Odd things like that started to happen to me when my battery started to go. The car would start and run fine, but at random things would wig out like the clock. Never had the cluster give me any problems though.

+1

+1

Just because your lights are not flickering or cutting out does not exclude you car. This could be another symptom.
1st - Check/test your battery
2nd - Check your connections (plugs and ground)
3rd - Check your AHL module (it might need to be replaced…program/encode it)

Will do guys thx. Headlights never have me a problem when they were halogen. Switched a few days ago to the xenon and problems stated. Ill check the battery today. And make sure everything is plugged in right. I have a feeling it’s a power surge from the ballasts turning on.

If they do need to be coded ill get my coding laptop working again (i need to do that anyways).

Edit:

Seems to me from what I’ve read you have to Add $522 to your VO, then recode LSZ

wanna help a guy out then :slight_smile:

I can do that, just need to get the e46 files and get my laptop working again. BMW software is so damn screwy. Was working fine for months then one day just up and decided to give me errors. If i have time ill fool with my car in the garage and see if i can get it going again

Sounds good man. Just let me know. No real hurry. But it’s alrdy annoying. And I’m sure the dealer will look at me crazy like they always do when I need something

Had it recoaded today. Problem still there. Any other options? Possibly cheap ballasts. Anyone know the best way to check.

Might have missed it, but are you trying to use OEM components ?

Nope aftermarket ballasts. Looking soon to see what they are.

Right, they are prob cheap ballasts, they may be shorting out through the case onto the body where ever they are mounted.

i thought of that, i laid them on the plastic headlight housing and it still happened. Will be cleaning connections and finding out what bulbs and ballasts are being used. Then go from there.

Even a new cheap kit will be a better bet.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

Yea good point. Maybe ill order it up in a few days if i cant figure out whats going on with the power draw.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Ill need the code eliminators now correct?

Yea, I believe any aftermarket lighting components on these car need them.

Went out and looked. They are CanBus Pro, 35W ballasts. From a quick search they seem pretty cheap. Will pick up some DDM ones and report back. Biggest question 4.5K or 5K bulbs?

EDIT> funny there website says perfect for the E46 :confused: