E85 Ethanol vs 93 Pump Gas

Either way, you’d think it’d hook with all the gadgets that car has. Maybe he’s talking about with traction aids turned off. My car hooks full boost in 2nd gear, however I may be on a better tire.

Hey Travis. Yes, I mean with traction controls off. No doubt I’m faster on a track with the electronic aids on, but off the track, having some safe-street fun, the electronic aids are far too intrusive with my current setup and constantly cut engine power in lower gears.

Another thing to consider is that torque is what spins tires and my HP & TQ figures are essentially the same (peak TQ hitting around 3500rpm). Unlike most people I suspect, I’d happily trade low end TQ for more top end HP.

While our peak HP figures are similar, I suspect the delivery is very different in our two cars. This would really show 60-130, where I suspect you’d hand me my a$$.

Like I said in texts, I def want to check out/ride in your car and I’ll take you out in mine too. Maybe some 40 rolls for fun in Mexico…:ninja I honestly think it’d be a great race with me at my lower boost level.

I’ve spoke with a bunch of GTR guys and it seems like everyone of them buys then sells there car in a year or two. I know maintenance costs are intrusive… but what gives?

I haz joined the corn burners club!

1991 Audi 200 20v Turbo
VEMS Standalone EMS
Siemens Deka 83# (870cc) injectors
Bosch 044 pump

so if i was to make my car e-85 . what would i need , id most likely be a a high comp motor " 14.1 or higher " no2 motor hopefully making 4xx on motor 6xx on the jug . what would i need ?

Mod the fuel basket and add another pump (255 will suffice), bigger injectors (unless yours are already 42+) and you’d have to run bigger fuel jets on the nozzles too.

BIG JETZ!

Popular Hot Rodding had a nice article about converting to E85. Just stumbled upon it. I would also like to add Turbo Travis’s test data to this thread when his experiment is complete. Keep me posted bud!

I would like to see the details on the 200 Nick. I know its 2.2L 5 zylinder with 200+k all stock except 3076R and EMS. You’re on a 044 pump but what injectors? And do you know the peak duty cycle on E85. What boost and timing do you run on corn too? I know its 20ish PSI on pump 93.

2.2l 20v 5 zylinder (engine code 3B) with closer to 300k on it. Bolt on GT3076r using the stock exhaust manifold (special exhaust housing) with .63 a/r. I am running Siemens Deka 870cc injectors at 3 bar base fuel pressure and an 044 pump. I see around 85% duty at 25psi boost. Timing was left way too conservative for safety. This year I plan to push the timing a bit more. Around 12 degrees at the torque spike and near 18 at redline.

By the way, I upped the boost to 27ish psi on pump gas and it ran fine.

what exactly would need to be changed/replaced to convert to E85?
i know any vehicle would need an E85 tune, but what else?

It depends on the vehicles current fuel system. Some can support the additional flow required, others cannot. Most factory fuel systems will need injectors if it’s just a bolt-on vehicle, some will require a fuel pump as well. If it’s a heavily modified vehicle you will need a new fuel pump or 2 and some pretty large injectors. You should also invest in larger fuel lines.

Nothing… just run it

the car automatically adjusts…just remember to unhook the battery when you put in e85

:rofl

You’d actually be surprised. MY S4 can adjust it’s fuel mixture up to 28% based off of O2 correction which is very close to the approximate 33% more fuel required for E85. This method is not ideal, but it can run lol. No, I will not be doing it that way because I am not dumb.

I have seen some threads on other forums where people slowly convert by adding a little more E85 every time they fill up to slowly convert. Eventually you will probably hit a wall where the computer has met a set max LTFT and you will run into issues.
I changed the highest acceptable LTFT range in my PCM to 30% from 24% and made the refresh rate faster knowing how ethanol content can change from station to station. Had to make for a more adaptable tune. This is after calibrating for E85 just as a safety measure

Not sure if this is the thread for it but I just wanted to post up that the Mobile in Saratoga still has E70 in the tanks. Just got some the other day and was a little disappointed.

I was there tonight and I think they’re just about out since the pump was going super slow.

This was an interesting site I stumbled on… http://www.iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol/racers.html

Also. I don’t think there is much on spark plug tech with E85 in this thread. It is a largely popular fuel now in our area as compared to when I started this thread. More questions are being asked and with Travis doing some of his own experiments, a lot of the questions are getting answers. I would now like to shed some light on this subject as well

I personally have read from reliable sources that ethanol likes a colder plug than what would be used with gasoline. The reasoning is that although E85 is much more tolerant to pre-ignition from compression and heat that it is easier to ignite by a glowing object in the chamber such as a ground electrode or carbon deposits. I have also read that E wants a hotter plug because the ethanol cools the intake charge and it requires a hotter plug to reach cleaning temps and burn off contaminants.
The closer the fuel is to 100% ethanol than the less contaminants there should be in the fuel anyhow. <- my speculation

I ran one step colder plugs in my stock LS1 on E85 with no issues. The colder plugs had been in there for about 20k now. I original swapped to a colder plug cause the engine would ping at high load with the auto. They were not swapped in as part of my ethanol conversion. This time around I will have a little more compression but will maintain my current heat range (NGK 6) but with a non-projected tip.

Many people recommend the non-projected tip plugs for ethanol and other alky fuels because the ground strap on the plug has a much shorter distance from tip to plug body. This helps to dissipate heat that could potentially make the tip of a standard projected tip plug glow. I may also side gap the plugs to try for a more efficient burn. Eco-modders and race engine builders have been doing this for years. It may shorten the life of the plug but many have reported that it is not as bad as some make it out to be.

Any input / thought / opinions, are welcome. I want to hear some feedback before updating the sticky on this subject. Let me know what plugs you run in your ethanol engine as well.