Ebay Flame Away!!!!

Soooo, this started out as a big joke but the more and more developed it has gotten, the more and more realistic it becomes in our heads.

I have this friend (not me lol) who unless he mans up for the idea, will remain nameless, who just bought a honda (not important what kind) with a d16.

He wants to boost it badly (real determined kid) but the downside is, he is just a kid (17) He works his ass off for the money he does have and with what he makes, our plan is feasible, but what I want to know from you, is if its doable.

Everyone rips on honda builds for how cheap they are and such, but what we were thinking is, what if he did his full turbo setup all from only ebay parts and vendors. He has found a few $1000 full kits (everything but clutch and injectors, it even has a mbc, ewg and turbo timer)

Now obviously this seems like the worst idea ever but the theme of this project would be that everything will be off of ebay so buying the “right quality parts” are out of the question. (If he wanted to save another year he could do the real deal but hees antsy)

There are some exceptions to this ebay thing, (and I dont know hondas nor shitty ebay purchases since I never use ebay and only hear horror stories) But if there is anything to not cheap out on (assuming this is going to last as long as we can milk it out for) what would be the parts that should come from legit companies, Im thinking, chip, wastegate, bov and boost controller?

He thinks he wants to run 16lbs on this t3/t4 all accompanied by this ebay vitara motor kit …http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Honda-Civic-Turbo-Vitara-Pistons-Forged-Rods-Rings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ005QQitemZ150187468838QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I know it keeps getting worse and worse, and like I said, we know this can be flawed in 473287463287 ways but is there anything stopping this from giving him at least 3000, 240whp miles, assuming its tuned correctly and such.

Without insulting, someone school me on why this can/cant work based on anyones history with ebay parts (any of them) and thier efficiency (if any)?

The worst part is, were gonna grab an “e” from an elantra badge, a “b” from an xb, an “a” from a passat, and a “y” from yaris and slap a civic badge behind it and make it a “Ebay civic” in all jumbled, pieced together letters.

This has FAIL slapped all over it but I am seriously intrested to know what the major obstacles will be?

I would say screw ebay for the most part. buy all your shit from hmt.com, home made turbo.com. there a bunch of cheap fucks who have boosted cars for pennies. I mean some of these kids have like 250 dollars into there turbo kits. If he can hold(be patient) and source the parts from there and ebay(used dsm turbo and such) I would do that route. sign up and just start reading. Dont post right away or u will get flamed. if you use search it will be posted somewhere on that forum. I still want to do a HMT setup on a honda, hopefully by summer Ill have me a lil project

ebay turbos suck ass thats 1 obstacle. you will hear the horror stories on HMT. ebay and dsm forums will be your friend. dsm injestors and/or 1st gen blow off valves. Seriously start reading HMT. plus there will be links for tons of vendors who give deals to HMT members like tuner toys and a few others

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=28135.0

yea sure use ebay, but don’t buy a full kit. Parting something together for under a grand that will last is very possible. look for a DSM turbo instead of a no name t3/t4 that is gunna blow (oil not air) in a week

A lot of the issue is that he wants the simplicity of buying the kit… and then bolting it on. Obviously the first thing I said to him is if you want a cheap turbo setup you should just piece one together, but he dosent want to look forum to forum and junkyard to junkyard for all his parts, and thats where our idea came into play.

With that being said… ebay t3/t4’s… are they ALL garbage?

I’ve got vitaras with hastings rings for that application…$100 includes wrist pins and locks. Go to tunertoys for their brand of rod. ACL bearings, ARP headstuds, and the kit I’d piece together from homemadeturbo.com

I would stick with a used DSM turbo. U can read yourself the horror stories. Some have great use out of there ebay turbo. Most blow up the first day, some before the first week is over. If he really wants to buy a kit, tell him to look for a used complete kit off HMT. or maybe this http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/TURB2/Turbo_Specialties_Superior_Turbo_Kits_For_D16_Engines.html

try not to cheap out real bad. Your main problem IMO is that it seems you do not have superior knowledge of installation. A cheap ebay kit will most often times not BOLT ON and will require alot of manufacture, extra work that will cost excessive time and more money. Seeing as i know neither of you i have no idea. this is just one persons two cents. you are really going to get nowhere on ebay unless you find used good parts. i say piece together or maybe the homemade kits. i have no idea about those it looks kind of shady to. you get what you pay for. i am working on a turbo setup for a b series so i feel that anxiety. but rushing and spending hastily will cost you more in the long run.

SS auto chrome might also be an option if your heading down the o shit path. they usually have full kits for around a grand

zerodaze made this a long ass time ago. http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143

he showed how to turbo a d series for under 800. the prices may be different since its 3 years later, but its an idea of whats needed. Have your friend look at that thread.

ive been toying with the idea of parting out my turbo kit. 1200 gets him my t25 setup.

Its boosting a d series… If there isnt 2352950 write-ups on it already, im sure the shitty instructions (if any) and my basic knowledge will get us by.

As for the shitty parts, Obviously hees going to be getting what he pays for, thats the point of this project, were just trying to figure out what to absolutely stay away from. Im finding the turbo may be a definant no go on ebay.

I have always admired that zerodaze civic, and I guess thats kinda the blueprint for this. Does anyone have any knowledge or know of any experiences with those motor parts?

I’m building one as we speak, unfortunately for you it’s not a low budget build, but if you’d like to come see what it’s all about you’re more than welcome. I don’t have my whole turbo kit together, but I can show you what the motor needs as far a building it.

If you buy an ebay turbo kit you’ll probably end up scrapping it since nothing will fit. I’ve never seen one that did.

Well it seems as we have our answer then I guess: eBay no way!

Thanks for the site, Idk what he is going to do as far as piecing it together, (obviously that was the best choice in the first place) but im sure if he wants it bad enough he will do it and save himself the headaches.

or he can buy mine for the same price…

So he wants it cheap and easy? That doesn’t generally work out well.

Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick 2.

If he wants it to work and wants it cheap, he needs to be willing to put in some effort on the design side of things.

Well, we fully understand this had many flaws as far as reliability goes, this was nothing we expect to go over 1000 miles without repairs or replacement. We were just wondering basically if there was such thing as a semit qualify ebay kit, or any ebay parts even.

Obviously eBay vendors shit out a lot of garbage but I figured for how many makers there are, there has to be at least one of them doing it right, even if its just by chance,that they have produced a quality product.

Boardjunky… do you have a link to what your selling?

How soon does he really want this done?? he cant wait to the 2-3 weeks to piece together a kit??? when does the install plan to take place?

No rush, just wants the car rolled out by spring sometime. Like I said, it was just the simplicity of buying 1 kit with everything (even oil lines and such) that he can just slap on (which I have found out nothing just bolts on). I would do all the research for him but im busy and have a project of my own that I can be spending time on instead. If I searched im sure I can find the right way to boost a d series civic, the question at hand was just if anyone thought a purely eBay kit and internals would work.

I guess the only question I still have, is about that link in the first post of motor parts. Does anyone knoe of that “kit” at all. If not where should he go to for internals?

garrett t25 turbo, greddy manifold, fmic, 1g dsm bov, 2.5 inch IC piping, 2.25" DP, oil lines, chipped ecu with base tune, 450cc dsm injectors + resistor box, internal wastegate w/ custom bracket, autometer boost gauge.

pretty good deal for 1200 and WAY better then ANY ebay junk.

edit: vitara pistons and eagle rods are good setup