Honda guys

alright well i finally think im going to turbo my 98 honda civic. But would like to keep it a daily driven car. Im thinking about going with an SS auto chrome kit ive herd mixed things about their kits from people on here what do you guys think? Now i know everyone is going to think this is stupid but i have a bone stock d16y7 motor that i really have no interest in swapping or building. What would i most definently have to do to this motor if i wanted to turbo it? The kit i was looking at came with a 5.83 psi spring and to be honest thats all i would ever put through the motor. I just want a little more then i have now this is my first car, my first project car, and my first turboed car i dont know much about turboing cars Yamaha will be assisting in turboing i just wanted some other opinions from Honda guys please and no smart ass replys thanks

Ive heard some people buy the kits and swap out the turbo and manifold and call it a day. You get what you pay for though.

i had one of these kits on my four door ran awesome never had one problem turbo actually was nice and manifold never cracked…i kinda think its a hit or miss just my opinion…i drove on a bone stock d15 motor with the setup and ran 12psi daily. i had a good basemap tune and dsm 450 injectors. i believe the car is still running. gearhead bought the car from me and sold it to somone else.

get a decent tune and run 93 octane fuel :dunno:

As far as SS AutoJunk is concerned…tiawanese manifold and turbo are useless. Basically the only thing that comes in the kit that you could use in good faith is the lines and IC piping. Cheap/fast/reliable…pick two. It’s been beaten more than darkstars cock, but if this is your only car, take any and all extra precautions towards reliability.

true, i have had some good luck with ssautocrap’s stuff. For the money, if it was a cheap side project, i’d give it a shot.

o dont worry dyingwish when this project gets underway you were the first person on mine and yamahas list to call up when we had a problem lol but when i turbo it i only plan on running like maybe 6psi through it is there anything i have to do the motor besides maybe injectors?

see thats all it really is its a daily driven 4dr honda civic i take it to carrick high school which is 4 blocks from my house and when i leave school i drive an additional 6 blocks to my work my car doesnt leave a 10 block radius except for on sundays sometimes thats the only reason i considered an SS Autochrome turbo kit they’re relatively cheap and seem to come with everything i’ll need to turbo the car

How much is this kit, total? If it is cheaper than you could assemble all the pieces from local pittspeed guys, then maybe buy it and examine everything and toss/resell whatever you are uncomfortable with. You might be able to use most of the kit and get by, but the question will be for how long. Between J, baldy, nitroice, Joe, Vince, Justin…etc along with the piles of stuff in the FS forum I’d bet you could undercut the price of that SS kit, but it will require patience.

Think of it this way…you live in Western PA, and on a DD the salt/moisture/heat cycling will rot even good manifolds, but they will outright destroy cheap thin-walled manifolds quicker than you’d expect. Another thing to note is all the stuff needed for installation…like downpipe, properly sized exhaust, injectors…etc etc. Is the combined potential cost worth it to take your only car to another level?

Personally, if I was going to drive a turbo setup alot I would hang the turbo on a decent log manifold. Like inlinepro, blox, etc. I’ve seen alot of ramhorns crack early from normal/limited use. Meanwhile my one buddy has over 40k miles on a turbo LS setup with a blox manifold w/o any problems.

Just stay simple. I think you could build a solid setup of used parts like dyingwish said. Half of my setup was built with used parts from friends. (turbo, manifold, downpipe, etc)

T3 D SERIES ALL IN TURBO KIT
Domestic Shipping: $50
International Shipping: $138

SUPER ALL IN TURBO KIT

THAT’S RIGHT ALL THIS !

T3 TURBOCHARGER
.42 A/R
.48 EXHAUST
.50 STAGE iii WHEEL

SUPER RACE STAINLESS STEEL TURBO MANIFOLD

FEATURES:
STAINLESS STEEL RUNNERS 45MM
3/8TH THICK FLANGE
2.2MM THICK PIPE - WILL NEVER CRACK!
SUPPORT WELDS ON EACH PRIMARY TUBE
POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL
PORTED FOR HUGE HP GAINS!

3" STAINLESS DOWNPIPE WITH 4" BRAIDED FLEX

WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE
SUPER 38MM WASTEGATE
SUPER RFL BOV
SOHC CAM GEAR
SET SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT ALT / PS PULLEY SET
INCLUDES NEW BELTS!

SUPER 680mm X 460mm X 180mm INTERCOOLER
FULL SET OF COMPLETE TIG WELDED (3 piece) 2.5" CHARGE PIPING.

IF YOU WANT YOUR AC KEPT - YOU NEED TO DO MOD’S TO YOUR
COMPRESSOR / SLIM FAN IS NEEDED - ETC …
THIS IS DESIGNED FOR " NO A/C "

FITS:
1992-2000 D SERIES CIVICS

ALL YOU NEED IS CLAMPS, OIL LINES
AND MINOR SMALLWARE FITTINGS

THIS IS A MONSTER KIT!!!
NOT EVEN THE LEADING NAME BRANDS GIVE YOU ALL THIS AND
CAM GEARS, PULLEYS, BOV , COMPLETE CHARGE PIPING

The kit is 495.00 plus shipping sorry for the length

I am a Big Fan of the HF manifold/DSM turbo for D series.

or something like this

honda-tech works

A friend of mine bought a ssauto kit and on his first day to work the cheap mani got so hot it caught his stupid carbon fibre hood on fire. Then after he put that out, ripped it off and stuck it in his back seat… the turbo died before he made it home. It had an oil leak from very early on and slowly started leaking more and more until it was a smoke screen behind him.

This was with stock injectors and the wastegate wired open with him babying it so as not to build boost until we could basemap it. (and yes we had all the charge piping on so we didn’t overspool the turbo). I even put an oil restrictor in line cause I heard that would save these junk turbos

If I was you I’d buy a used dsm turbo, an HF mani, an adapter plate, set of 450’s, chipped ecu and harness to go OBD1, and then hit up egay for the chinese BOV, charge piping and intercooler.

I think you have it backwards… driving a mile and shutting it off is going to be the worst on a cheap turbo setup. Improper warm up and cool down destroys even the best of the best turbo kits. I’m sure it isnt going to be warmed up, your going to spool it in every gear, then shut it off. This is what kills turbo cars and puts bad names on parts.

here’s another example of improper turbo use. Dont blame the kit for what the installer doesnt know how to do.

wastegate wired open = excessive heat = fail
oil leak = installer error = fail
stock injectors = fail
oil restrictor = fail

im not blaming, just pointing out things

This isn’t a magical mystery. There is certainly price competition among products of similar quality, but how do you think they are selling you that entire kit including pulleys, belts, and a cam gear for $500? You are basically buying a collection of high performance parts from Dollar General. Have you seen the quality of cheap parts from China? They break, and you want to put them all over your motor. I’m all for saving money where it makes sense to do it, but IMO if you put that kit on your daily driver you are simply asking to be disappointed/slammed in the pooper. :down:

If the top of your list really is DD reliability, it’s worth putting together a decent kit. Bubble gum on a daily driver sucks, hard. Plenty of folks on here to help you with it too, instead of just saying “I Told You So” when that ebay kit sharts the bed.

I agree with PB. IMO if you want to have a reliable turbo DD, you may want to buy something that has a turbo from the factory (SRT4, WRX, Mazdaspeed3, etc…). Or you could get a swap and a decent turbo kit that will have a better manifold, turbo, etc. If you aren’t in the position to spend the money on that yet, I would probably just save your $500 bucks because you are going to end up spending way more than that once things start to break on that kit.

14b with an internal gate, It will be 7.5psi all day make 200all day. hell you could get away with a 255pump and a set of prelude injectors!

= WIN for breakfast.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/tdogg_9515/what_the_hell.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/SMullett/WHAT.jpg

alrite then lets gets started who has some parts to help me put a d-series turbo kit together?