car question (turbo honda)

OK, here is the deal, i know i just made a post about finding a rwd winter car…but this thought crossed my mind… is it possible to find a $2Kish honda civic to drive for the winter…then come spring…buy XXX turbo kit for around 3-4 grand and drive a pretty quick car for around 6-7 grand? What exactly would I be getting my self into here? I read that most kits are bolt ons… im mechanicly inclinded…KIND OF… but i think between me and my dad, i can get it together. would i have to pull the engine on such kits or is it much easier?

Just shed some light on the subject please

spending 3-4k on turboing a honda would yeild some very good parts, for that price u could have all new internals and very good turbo, and turbo parts. You do not have to pull the engine to do the install, but u will have to most likely pull the oil pan to tap the oil return line. Other then that, there is a little bit of fabrication that will need to be done(downpipe and charge pipes). but other then that its not too bad.

what kinda civic? it wont be that fast with a bolt on kit with a stock motor and hondas were not made for boost so the internals tend not to be strong. a good tune can help but run u a penny and without a good tune the cars a ticking time bomb. in the end its a headache that with out no mechanic skills isnt worth it. you probably read about civics on here and just think hmm they are turbo and fast. well most are either built, swapped or built and swapped and tend to have alot more then 7 grand into them with the cost of the car, turbo kit, and other parts that go along with it. theres always the junk yard kit. on top of that u wont find a clean rust free civic around here for 2g, most need some work… ALOT of work. winter = death for civics. just one winter can very easliy ruin a clean civic. but why bother get something already turbod or just get a car and drive it if ur not 100% sure u want to build something.

Unless you have an S2000 :cry:

Piece a kit together. You can build a nice set up that way. Built motor plus boost will serve you well. If you get a good tune, u should have no problems

i wish i had money to blow on a whim like this…

a beater should be a beater. thats it

trying to mod a beater to that extreme is asking for more pain than its worth.

get a civic, and put the extra 3-4 grand into your gti. maybe you’ll break 13’s or somthing :stuck_out_tongue:

^^if he buys a civic and puts 3-4 grand into it, he could probably break into the 11’s, lol. vw’s suck

not worth the headache.

UGH.
I agree with adam.
I seem to have enough trouble with my N/A honda.

:word:

its worth it for Minglor, cause hes getting my old set up…CHEAP.

if i were to sell you my setup for a few hundred, it would be worth it, but not worth it for you to spend $3000.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16651

ehh… a few people on vortex are runnin very low 14’s and high 13’s on just a chipped gti.
So a few grand into my car…would = bigger turbo+good tuning= 12’s maybe less witha good driver:bloated:

As you guys can all see i am soooo undecided on what to do? I want fast…but i dont know how to get it…should I wait on a vag tuning company to come out with a good BT kit for the gti or should i keep the gti stock and buy a hatch and make it quick for under 8 grand…?

hahaha <3

I wish durboing my car was easily done. :frowning:

boosted hondas are live VWs (only fast)

if you love it, it will love you back… but if you dont… it will shit in your shoes

HA

Like a bad dog.
But I loved my VW and it shit in my shoes…

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

My ass is still sore from working out that deal.

i think i said the same thing

so then why contemplate modding another car when you have a perfectly good one to start with?

ding ding.

i think we may have a winner.

dude you are worse than me with making up your mind…

and tell your brother that im comin over next week and we’re pullin the 16v from his gli :wink: