Editing HD video

I’m starting to edit a HD video (1080i) from the Drift Hustle event at AIS but having some issues.

I’m using Adobe Premiere CS4, computer specs are:
AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz, 4gigs of ram, 8800gts vid card ~300megs of ram, Windows 7 64bit, 150gig WD Raptor SATA drive (main OS drive), 1Tb SATA2 storage drive.

According to the software recommendations it should be ok for HD video (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/)

The problem is when playing back the edited video on the program monitor it’s very choppy. Also, some clips “appear” during playback like a ghosting effect, they actually encode like that as well. I can play the individual video clips in the source monitor smoothly. The encoded video playback is very smooth.

I would like to build a new computer but don’t want to dump the funds on that right now. I can go with the Phenom X4 processor but Adobe doesn’t mention that in system requirements. I’m just looking for the best part to upgrade right now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

My comps are the same way with playback until the video is completely edited and done. Both have 8GB ram and my desktop has a 285GTX vid card, my laptop has an ATi Radeon something. The desktop is an AMD 3.2ghz quad-core processor too.

BTW I put some random soundtrack ideaz in da fread on slideny

Is it AVCHD? It’s acting like it…

You better be using “we built this city” for the song

If you’re talking about this song then I’m going to need some of the crack that you’ve been using.

Yes I believe he is.

That would be the song.

SO perfect fo drift video.

I shot footage with this song in my head. You could set the clips up to the lyrics almost perfectly. No joke

Drift videos set to wrap or Heavy Metal are fucking lame as shit

Thanks, Happy Birthday as well!

GOTTT EMMM

Yup, should I convert them?

We listened to it, we might use part of it, this video will need a couple songs. I’m hoping to get about 15-20 minutes of footage once completed.

AVCHD takes a lot of converting powa. Even brand new, super fast computers get bogged down. Something about the algorithm is complex and a PC isnt designed for it or something. Wait it out, the end result video should work as normal. Editing will be a PITA until you convert it into something usable (MP4, etc).

Werd. +1.

I’ve been reading some forums about this and I guess it’s a big issue with Premiere CS4 and AVCHD. Some people are running 4-8 core processors and some are just running 3.0Ghz dual cores with good results. It’s weird but right now it’s very difficult to even edit for me, very choppy. Some things people have tried are closing anti-virus/spyware programs in the background and they claim that works as well. I’ll try some things tonight and see if it helps.

Is it an M2TS file right off the camera? The cam probably came with software to convert it that any computer should be able to handle, before you load any editing software like Adobe. I’d convert it only, and then open the new file in Adobe and everything should be good to go.

My Canon came with Pixela #(?). It’s only used to convert the file and it still effs my new comp up while converting. Once it’s done it’s just a giant MP4 file that any computer can handle.

Yes it came with software to convert, I’ll try that as well. :number1

Did you render the project before outputting it? Seems to make a big difference to me. I also have a pretty badass rig and HD editing is not as smooth as I would like.

I didn’t render it. By outputting you mean encode to a file?

I tried disabling my second monitor, closing the virus program, rendering, converting to different formats, it’s just still to choppy. Also, my CPU isn’t a 2.8 GHz, it’s 2.6. I’m going to order a Phenom II 3.0Ghz quad core maybe tomorrow. I’ve been meaning to upgrade anyway.

Overclock that bitch

Seriosuly… did you look at your CPU usage while doing this?

I’m on the Phenom II 3.2 quad core and it’s still like that. Just about anything out right now won’t help, trust me. I built my current desktop JUST for vid/pic editing and it’s still choppy on AVCHD.

btwe does the program utilize 64bit and multiple cores or does it just peg the shit out of 1?

Try using sony vegas… my buddy matt edited some HD video with that awhile back and it seemed pretty smooth while he was working on it.

No idea what format it was using