Elantra automatic repair-replacement

I saw a '99 Elantra for sale cheap , seemingly excellent condition except “no reverse”. I’m looking for useful comments.

Is this common? What would I be in for to repair or replace this tranny? Price and trouble? DIY in the driveway, or no?

I know this car is a modest choice, but it’s a good fit for me (my wife, that is), and a good value even if regularly priced. I don’t need commentary on that part of the equation, thanks.

i have an automatic trans that i can sell it has less then 40k on it, make an offer and its yours

i offer one dollar. it’s now mine.

i will sell it you you for 200.

pickup a used trans on car-part.com, and have it installed.

Done deal.

I’m trying to think if a 99 is a piece of junk, or is it when hyundai started to get their act together.

I know those motors need timing belts every 60k miles, so make sure its done. Yes its an interference engine.

If the auto comes out like the manual then you could swap it in the driveway in less than a day. Viper would know more on that, but I can swap my manual trans in about 4-5 hours, mostly depending on stuck bolts.

i can swap an auto trans in that chassis in about 3 hours, i even have the trans already

yeah, elantra are quite easy to swap. I had to do one for a friend and it only took a few hours. It was a bit messy for the driveway, but if you like a grease puddle, then go for it.