Automatic to Manual Swap?

this is just a random question, kinda want to feel the water on it, but how much does an auto to manual swap cost roughly? ive heard its cheap on some sites and expensive as hell on others

are you doing the work?

Depends on the car and the person doing the work. If you can do the work yourself its probably not too expensive but its going to be a good amount of headaches. If you pay someone else its going to cost $$$$.

well im just looking at numbers right now, itll be a project down the road, but i sorta want to do it, my cars only got 65k on the body/engine, its had stored winters and there is no rust, so i dont really want to sell it for sack of it being in very good condition/was a very reasonable price, but i really would like to have the 5 speed so sack of it being more interesting/fun to drive lol. Idk, its just an idea, i wouldnt be doing the work, i only know the basics about engine work, ive never torn apart a tranny before tho

you would never get your money out of it, sell it the way it is. Plus if you put in a manual you are seriously limiting you buying field.

i say no

i did it on my tib for >700 bux but i already had a bunch of modifications done to it that made it nor practical to sell it…

for your car, i would just sell it and buy a new manual one

your car looks to be in great condition, but you can find a nice one too and with the options that you want for prob less then what it would cost you to mod the car.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&sort=true&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=YEAR%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-34%7CB-14000%7CD-310%7CN-N%7CR-250%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-14221&sortId=&aff=national

Well you wouldn’t have to “tear apart a tranny”. you’d simply be swapping in a manual. Most auto to manual swaps are straight forward. Flywheel/clutch/tranny/ecu/pedal assembly/cable and or hydraulics. Center console maybe some cutting of the tunnel depending on differences.

your interior and clutch pedal will never be “right” unless you doump some majoir monry into it, and you said you would have someone do it for you,…=… $$TONS$$ dont do it.

well being this is my first car ive ever bought (im only 18) im still new to buying/selling of cars and stuff of that nature, i bought this car through my grandpa to avoid paying $$$ up the ass for insurance and for car loans (i bought this car with my own money, he just paid the bank through his name for lower interest rates) but im still making payments on the car so how does that work to sell it? would i have to pay it off first and then sell? idk, but i really regret not buying a 5 speed, especially since i almost bought a 1998 gsx off some kid in NT a few weeks before

you sell the car for what you owe on the loan or more. Pay off the loan, then have your grandpa go get another loan or get a loan with a cosigner. buy a manual turbo and be happy :slight_smile:

well i paid $7,450 for the car in july, ive only had to make payments for 2 months so far so i still owe 7,100 or something like that

Don’t put a goddamn cent into modifying it then. You don’t even own the car.

:word: If you can’t afford to push your car off a cliff then you can’t afford to mod it.

Financing a car at 18 is a bad idea anyhow, and so is financing a 10 year old DSM for 4 years. Just focus on paying it off while going to college.

don’t do it too much work or money

FWIW, I actually made money when doing the manual swap into my SHO. I had bought a parts car, stripped it, took what I needed, and then sold the rest. As far as the stupid comment about your interior and clutch pedal never being “right”…well I guess you can hack your way through it or you can take manual specific parts and do it cleanly. That’s how I did mine and it looks factory original.

don’t cut your car up…if it’s not as fast as you want it…sell it and get something that is.

Finish paying the car off before you want to do something to it. If you have the money sitting around for a swap, thats a good place to put it… And when the car is payed off, and you have money again, then you can consider doing this… But if you car came in a manual, id just sell this one and buy a manual one…

But… im swaping my auto for a 6spd… so what do i know?

[quote=“Viper966,post:7,topic:35241"”]

i did it on my tib for >700 bux but i already had a bunch of modifications done to it that made it nor practical to sell it…

for your car, i would just sell it and buy a new manual one

[/quote]

jesus christ people, did no one take math class in 6th grade. :smash2:

you know you wrote more than $700