Elmwood Village Anyone

Anyone else here live in the Elmwood Village? Looking for feedback on the area before I sell my Williamsville home to buy an old Victorian down there…

Do it, the city is great.

I have been in the Elmwood area for 10 years and don’t plan on going anywhere, anytime soon.

Where are you shopping, if you don’t mind me asking?

+1 also I can’t see the future but my real estate has appreciated far beyond my expectations so id say its a reasonably good investment.

I love the area, I go to Globe for lunch often, etc.

I was looking for a house around there for years before buying in the West Village. Just be prepared to make an offer the day a house you’re interested in hits the market. All of Buffalo is hot right now.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/56354301.jpg

Thanks for the quick feedback…looking on Norwood and Ashland…decent lots and a lot of driveways/garages. Wife works at children’s hospital so she can walk to work and it looks like the taxes in the city are ridiculously cheap…

Anyone want to buy a nice move in ready home in Williamsville??? :wink:

Isn’t Children’s Hospital moving to the Buff / Niagara Med Campus relativity soon?

Yea they just broke ground so it wont be till at least 2018. She’s part of the team deciding what to do with everyone once they move, it looks like she’ll either be working from home or at the larkin building once that happens.

If you’re feeling a bit more bohemian, take a look at property a little more west or south from where you’re looking now. Taxes are relativity high in the well established areas around Elmwood. They tend to drop quite a bit the further away you go.

It is inexplicable to me how things can change block to block over there ?!?!

I looked a bit with josh last year and concur that the area is a good buy. You’re a couple years late to the punch though :slight_smile:

Lived in the Elmwood village for 3 years, loved the city and the area.

But things change real quick in the areas there: I always say it’s a great neighborhood located between 2 not so great neighborhoods.

In the 3 years there we had our cars vandalized numerous times, anything from food and garbage thrown on it to a lovely key make on one side. my car broken into once and had all kinds of stuff stolen. There was an attempted theft of the wife’s wheels, fortunately her car is on bags and they couldn’t get a jack under the car. They were kind enough to leave us the cinder blocks that it was going to be left on. This has happened to a few other friends in the village area.

We did live in a apartment with on street parking but that’s doesn’t mean off street will be any better. I’ve seen numerous cars on Potomac with windows smashed in people’s driveways.

Constantly had bums and people puking, shitting and sleeping in our alley and on the block around us.

The neighborhood is blowing up right now and imho some stuff is wayyyyyyy overpriced. The wife and I briefly looked just to see what was around when we were home shopping. some places we looked at needed tons of updating and we’re almost a century old for 200k+. Don’t get me wrong there is some nice stuff but be prepared to pay

Personally I would vote north buffalo, taxes are just as cheap but you’re a little more removed from village area but still a bike ride/walk or quick drive away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 years and I’ve never had an issue with my car, always with off street parking.

I work at Aroma on Ashland and Bryant, it would be great to see another nyspeeder in regularly. But seriously, Ashland and Norwood, along with all of their E/W cross streets are great. I love Highland and Lexington the most, with Lafayette, Norwood, Ashland following.

If you’re in need of a west side savvy realtor, feel free to PM me. A friend of mine has been selling houses in the neighborhood for about 5 or 6 years now and is a resident as well. He knows this market very well.

There are a couple of places a stones throw from the restaurant that all look great from the outside.

Can’t believe people deal with this kind of shit for what houses are going for down there. Fuck that. Williamsville is where people move when they graduate college, get a few bucks, and move out of Elmwood village. I would never go in reverse, especially if the place cost as much or even more.

Williamsville is where I grew up, got bored of my surroundings and moved downtown, lol.

Move to Williamsville when you have kids.

The homes have a certain “charm” to them, I can certainly see the draw. Like you, I wouldn’t pay dearly to be the big cheese in the center of a shit sammich. The big concern I’d have now is price, how long is the market going to stay red hot? If you’re rolling equity in and capturing bits & pieces as you go it’s one thing. When the big cheese invite you to their perpetual growth party and you show up late…you’re more likely to be raped than to have a good time.

We did enjoy being able to walk everywhere and liked the vibe of the area. I miss some aspects of Elmwood living but dealing with the shit for the amount we were paying to live there was not worth it anymore. I’m glad Dan hasn’t had to deal with all the shit I had to.

But buying a house in the burbs is so much better at this point in my life. Our mortgage is only 40$ a month more than our rent and we have 10x the space and so much less hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving to Williamsville, as in selling your soul?

I can understand that point of view. However appreciating property values without the reflecting taxes is kind of cool. What happened to Sasquatch and his wife sucks but where he was living has super high foot traffic so it’s a matter of time.

Steve,

Where did you end up buying?

I’ve lived in the north side of the city for almost 2 years now. I love it. I have a driveway and a garage, im close to everything, and I’m a short walk away from Delaware park and great restaurants on Hertel

We ended up buying a nice cape on Yeager Drive in Cheektowaga. Huge back yard, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 car garage, full basement, lots of updated. Its perfect for the wife and I and our pets. We spent about a month painting and ripping up carpets and stuff. But now we couldn’t be happier, kind of wish we would have taken this step sooner.