? about Buffalo neighborhoods and suburbs

This ought to be interesting…

Just took a job in Buffalo. I need to start considering where I want to live. I figure I’ll rent at first, but the prices of Buffalo real estate make me want to be a slum lord. I’ve never been an urban dweller, but my wife went to school at Buff State and really liked that neighborhood. I’d like a garage and to not have my shit stolen on a regular basis. (general suburbanite concerns) I’d like to know areas (read: zip codes) to rule out.

Frame of reference. I’m originally from Rochester area. I love Wegmans and the small town feel, kinda close to the conveniences of a city. What I know about Buffalo revolves around Ted’s, Jim’s Steakout, and Loganberry. From my exposure in the late 90’s I remember suburbs with Indian names that smelled like Kodak but different. I have family in Lockport, so that’s not an option.

So where do you think I should look and why.

not riverside, blackrock, east side, west side

i grew up in west seneca, nice town, not ruined by inner city folk

if you’re looking to rent there’s a ton of nice developments and complexes in the cheektowaga/west seneca area :tup:

Planning on having kids soon, or already have them? If so Buffalo public schools are the worst in WNY. So figure on playing for private school or living in the suburbs.

:word: sell in the city live in the burbs

North of Buffalo where I live is probably where you will find the best selection of 3/3 houses that are in good neigborhoods. Generally most of them for sale need alot of work to get them remodeled so you can get them pretty reasonable if your lucky. The better the neighborhood, the more you will pay.

Apartments are pretty reasonable in the area too, you can find a 1200 sq ft apt in good shape for anywhere from 500 to 700 in depending how nice they are. My zip code is 14216.

Elmwood area is nice also

Zip codes to avoid

Sure theres alot more but thats just off the top of my head

If your apartment shopping pick up a artvoice, there usually a good selection of city apartments in it.

Williamsville FTW

hamburg, orchard park, eden, just south of buffalo

Tonawanda? A bunch of us on here live there. 15-20 min. from everywhere. Most of what you need is close by. Zip is 14150 or 14217 for Kenmore (speeding ticket central).

north buff

actually olmsted 64 was just voted as one of the top elementary public education schools

as far as public high schools, city honors was ranked #4 in the nation.

the olmsted system, which includes 64, then 67, then 56, (or city honors for middle school) is a great education system.

yes there are a lot of shitty public schools in buffalo but there are also some great ones.

as far as neighborhoods; there are a TON of neighborhoods in the west side that are excellent. if you stay between main st and richmond (the boundary is actually starting to expand westward the good part is extending past the richmond border) you’re gold.

north buffalo is nice too, a bit more suburban but still close to the city

I’m starting noticing a pattern here.

Onoes, good thing I’m 2 blocks away from where the ghetto starts. whew

Im on Elmwood, and lots of problems that I don’t like that are kinda annoying…

Lots of homeless people random all over the street begging. Couple of theft incidents recently. IE my gas thread, my gf’s neon a couple months ago. Not to mention stupid can’t park on the street via winter v. $35 ticket rant. Ummm. Theres more, but I def want to move to a larger place with a yard and not so many ghettoians around.

Okay so, since I probably won’t be having kids in school wherever I move…

City is okay west of Main?
North Buf - like north of Sheridan? 290? Is N. Tonawanda too far?
Looks like any of the burbs south of 90?

How long does it take to get from Hamburg to the airport?

15 minutes hop right on the 90

Coldaccord- I totally misread that the first time. BTW My wife did her student teaching at 18.

Aside from artvoice and craigslist, any online places to shop rental properties?

Craigslist is very helpful but alot are crappy.

buffalo rising has listings too

to be honest, just drive around. that way you will figure out what neighborhoods are best, and where you would want to live. that is the best way to do it, there are a ton of signs up and all that

amherst isnt bad voted one of the safest towns haha