Emissions ?'s

So if I drive a car less than 5k a year I dont need to get the emissions sticker right? Does that also mean I dont have to have cats on the car?

-j

i believe you still have to pass a visual inspection, the inspector has to see the cats… maybe someone else can confirm that.
but hypothetically, if the cat were to hollow itself out somehow, i think you’d be ok

This is what my inspection guy told me w hen I took mine… I had less than 8k on mine since the previous inspection, which was pushing 2 years. I was under the impression I would be exempt but had to have it tested anyways so i questioned this. He said that I was exempt from milage but that time period also expires. I would of had to renew the sticker @ 1 year from the previous inspection or have it re-tested. Now I should have no problems renewing it annually and keeping it under 5k miles. It does have to pass a visual inspection though from what I understand. Which is precisely why I did this:

http://www.s10blazed.com/images/straightpipecat01.jpg

http://www.s10blazed.com/images/straightpipecat02.jpg

you still get the sticker, it just shows at exempt. and theoretically yes, you still need cats, exempt or not

you have to pass everything in the state inspection just not hook up to the emissions equipment, and they still give u a sticker for emissions exemption, and you do have to visual have all required parts on the car (smog pump, cats,etc…)

that will definately work for the cats, the guy that refused my car once told me that if i did that i would pass

yeah, it ‘visually’ looks like a cat is there… so I will pass a visual inspection. I got an O2 sim on the way to fool the computer back into thinking its there as well. I have only driven it about 60 feet without the o2 sensor and no codes yet though.

From my understanding 5k or less qualfies for exemption. However the shop I use told me all “devices” must be present. This is complicated by the new under dash test for 96 and up. They told me that “it still has to be hooked up to computer if it passes I get exempt sticker”. This makes no sense but thats what they told me. They explained that all vehicles must be commected to verify actual miles and to prove they exempted said vehicle. (must read VIN)

Then they told me no SES light on and no codes = pass.

I hope more people answer cause I don’t understand this as well as I would like.

Besides the <5K, it also has to be >365 days since the last inspection.

thats the first time you get the sticker, you have to pass your initial time you get an exemption sticker if i remember correctly, i forgot about that

yeah that screwed me cuz my dates didnt match the first year so i had to wait until may to get it inspected

i never got an emission sticker at all and i live in westmorelant county:dunno: i also stay under 5k and take it in a month early to inspect

5K only applies for the emissions inspection, not the “safety” inspection. If you live in Westmoreland you’re required to address emissions.

They might have you mixed up though since Belle Vernon is in two counties.

and you take it to the wrong place and see’s that they turn you in your get a big big big fine!!

ie wouldent post pics like that!

thats pimptastic :bigthumb:

No emissions in a diesel

no money in your pocket