Emissions question

when a car reaches 25 years old, does it need to pass visual emissions, like having a cat present with all equipment?

yes

fuck. is there a way around it?

the only way i could think of is if the vehicle had an antique plate then obviously it wouldn’t need inspection or emissions. But i bet thats not the answer your lookin for. :stupid:

buy a car that did not have any emission equipment in the first place. :smiley:

keep it under 5k miles

still has to pass visial at legit shops right?

i don’t know about that

I thought <5000 meant completely exempt, visual and all

i keep my iroc under 5 k miles or try to…and i got exempt from emissions… so i dont think the inspector even looked for anything

you can get a collectible plate which u can do whatever want to the car mods wise, but cant take it more than 5 k miles a year as well and those miles are only for shows and events and such… limited to 1 time per week of just fun cruising. but not sure they check that all the time…

next inspection he could try it not this one, unless he knows someone willing to do it.

ok i just got my car inspected this weak and talked to my inspection guy. he’s a good guy and my family known him from DAAA baseball program, since i started playin baseball when i was 8 years old.

he was saying that you have to pass the visual, meaning you need to have all factory equipted emissions devices. if you dont want your smog stuff then you can dump it and do w/e you want to do, but you have to keep it under 5000 miles a year. if your under 5000 miles, your exempt from the emmissions tests and the visual test.

oh and this is westmoreland county… but this county falls under the pittsburgh area clean air acts or something so, allegheny, beaver, and westmoreland counties (i think these are the ones) have to undergo these emissions tests… elsewhere i dont think they do visual

he just bought the vehicle, which means he has NOT had it a year, which means it won’t fall under the 5k exemption, unless someone hooks him up.

oh i thought if it didnt have a years ownership on it yet, u didnt have to get it emissions tested. oh well i guess i got that mixed up

its a 1981 malibu. what about after an engine swap, v6 to a 305, what do i do then?

you mean v6 to 350 right. :smiley:

anyways, I believe it needs to have what it had from factory.

get it inspected with all the stuff on it, then do the swap. keep it under 5k and next year you’ll be exempt from emissions.

ok, it will probably be under 5k, only driving in summer and dry fall days