emissions question

is it possible in any way to stick a carbed SBC in a 4th gen fbody and pass emissions?

im not too familiar with the emission laws… but lets say the car was driven under 5,000 miles a year

could it pass with just a cat for the visual check?

or is this pretty much impossible to do?

what about just swapping in an lsx block that is computer controlled?

technically the vehicles emissions must be up to standards for the model year of the chassis

if you have owned the car over a year, keep it registered every year, travel under 5,000 within one full year, and live in allegheny county, you are exempt from emissions both testing and visual

i don’t forsee a problem really but PA is weird and you never know if they’re going to up and change their program

thanks, i did a search here and found another post of yours saying the same thing

i know people who can inspect my car, but i wouldnt want them to get into trouble if i was doing something illegal.

so in reality, if you take an emissions exempt car in for inspection and when they put it on the lift to remove the tires and see that there is no cat, they cant fail you for it? since there is no visual requirements?

last car I had with no Cat was emissions exempt after the first year since I was putting less than 5k a year on it… emissions exempt means they do absolutely NO emissions testing

I was running header to piping to muffler, and had no issues.

some mechanics may refuse to inspect your car after seeing no catalyst but in reality they are not doing anything illegal by doing a state inspection as long as you’re registered in an I/M county (ie allegheny, wash, butler)

the only one doing anything illegal would be you and obviously we don’t care about that :D, exempt means exempt from testing and inspection

:doh:I live in Beaver County and found a SMALL loophole to use. I renew my registration on line. When you get to the page that says you paid for your plate and it asks you IF you want to view other printable documents ignore it and print the page WITH the continue button on it THAT proves that your plate IS valid and it doesn’t say anything about emissions on it so technically it’s legal(small loophole).:itr41:

well, i just want to put a carbed v8 in my camaro, but i have no idea how to do this and have it be legal (pass inspection)

i looked at everything like a custom car, etc. but nothing fit what i was trying to do

I have a 86 Camaro with a mid 70’s sbc and this worked for me and my wifes’ 80 Z, 94 extended cab,96 Maxima and 88 4x4.

find a shop owned by cokeheads, pay them a few bucks and you’ll be emissions exempt forever. lol

street rod

i thought i saw that, and it said it had to be 1949 or under?

have any info on this?

That’s right your car is to new.

Is it the '98 in your name? If that’s the case and your OBD II, there may be a loophole for at least one year if you go over the exemption requirements. If the emissions machine can’t read the computer it will offer the option to continue without testing the OBD II connector. It will pass it for at least that year. It does state you have to get it fixed by the next year though, but I don’t know if you could do it again.

i’ve had atleast one car that didn’t have an obd II check for 2 years in a row and penndot didn’t flag anything (fuse always blows and i forgot about it)

also you’d have to find someone that would cheat an emissions test, something i’d never take the chance on.

ride dirty!

yes, thats what im trying to figure out here… there has to be a way for me to do this

lets say i get it inspected with emissions, then after that i do the swap, and drive less than 5000 miles for the next year, wouldnt that make me exempt from emissions meaning i could do the swap?

yep, that’s what just about everyone who swaps a motor does.

iF you eliminate anything emmisions wise that was installed by the factorey It can fail inspection . There was a bullitin that cam out a couple of years ago on this.

negative, not if you’re in an I/M county in which case there is no visual as part of either state inspections or emissions. so if your not looking then why would you fail it?

I have no EGR and passed visual when I drove over 5k 2 years ago.
now Ive been being exempt