Emissions Testing.....

Haha, so this is funny. I took my rx7 to get inspected yesterday. At the idle test: 130ppm was passing for my car. I managed to max out the machine at 2000ppm.

At the 2500rpm test i was at a healthy 600ppm. :naughty:

Combination of having no cats and an enormous cam. 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA

What should I do… I don’t know anyone who is just going to give me stickers, for some extra $.

1. I work in butler county, is it possible to register my vehicle to the work address?

2. Possible to register my vehicle at a friends address in butler county?

3. I could just register it as a collector car and not have to deal with emissions, however you have driving regstrictions and I kinda don’t want to have to deal with the popo. They are horrible in ohio township.

Have you owned the car and had it inspected before? Or is this the first time you had it inspected? I would look into seeing what you need to do to be emissions exempt. Things like driving less than 5,000 miles per year…
If you can show that you spent over $250 trying to get it to pass emissions than they give you a pass… I don’t remember exactly how this works but qualified for it once before, I think you’ll need a friend at an inspection station for this one though

After talking with an Enhanced vehicle inspector, i think im going to get collector plates. I can pass the inspection without having cats.

This way technically the only illegal thing i’ll be doing it is driving the car too much, which is very subjective.

and there are ways around that as well… good luck! can’t wait to see the car out and about!

There’s a couple of threads like this on corvetteforum. They say new cats and hotter thermostat. The 160 thermostat increased unburned fuel by 50% one guy said. Anther guy put new cats on his 441 ci and passed the stricter CA sniffer test. Not sure what new cats cost but might be less hassle than getting a collector plates.

Well there’s not too much room for cats, it could be done but would be a huge pain.

Also, with the cam I have its literally impossible to pass sniffer no matter what.

Do they do sniffers on rollers here? I’ve always been exempt, which is good since I’m cat-less too. If I do start driving it more, then I’ll go collector on it, I guess.
If anyone has a sec to post a link to how to go about getting collector plates, let me know.
I’ll check the state website later but a lot of time things are hard to find there.

i can get small cats that will fit most likely. they are 50 each they are high flow bullet style like SLP sells

It’s not easy. Car has to be 15+ years old, and also has to have ‘severe’ modifications. Such as complete body rebuild or engine swap.

Then you have to go through a special inspection just for highly modified vehicles.

BG, i’ll let ya know. Not sure what i’m going to do yet.

My car failed hardcore last year, and they did say if you showed you spent atleast $200-$300 on emissions components, they give you a pass, perfectly legal, its state law or something.

Turns out the carb had a bad seal and I then passed with 0, I mean 0 CO2 emissions and barely registered on the scale for the other crap. But now this year I’m exempt =D

After i did all the mods on my GTi in the late 80’s, it didn’t pass the tailpipe test(cam, header, no cat etc). The guy told me if i spent $300 he could put a sticker on my car. I told him to go fuck himself and take the PA emission test with him. I ran the car without an emission sticker for 8 years, and never had a problem. After i moved to Butler county, it was no longer an issue. After all, everyone knows that the air stops at county borders, right?:confused:

I can tell you I doubt i could go a month without getting pulled over… my car doesn’t exactly fit in.