Inspection/Emissions??

Well I’m up to get inspection done in August. I installed a turbo kit on my 96 civic after last inspection.

Things that I know will not pass

1. OBD2 converted to OBD1
  2. Modified PCV system
  3. Knock sensor might be broke(not setup on my chip so I can’t tell)

My question would be is there any way I can pass with these mods?

I know I could swap back in stock injectors and stock ECU and remove the wastegate ring, (also fix the knock sensor in that case). But I wanted to see if there were any other options for getting it to pass.

I know that there is a button on the OBD2 diagnostics machine that says OBD2 Port inaccessible. If a place were to select that would they then just do a visual and sniffer test?

Any info would be appreciated. I’m working all summer in Columbus OH so I only have 1 week next week when I can work on my car.

Whats emissions testing???

They test for how much bad stuff you put into the air. On cars that are 96 or newer they plug into your ECU to do this.

Only certain counties have emissions though.

Anyone have any input

why would you go from OBD II to OBD I?

there’s always ways around II. II means no visual unless your in cali

prob for better tuning… or something to do with computers and boost i bet…

yeah but I thought those systems were just for emissions checks…nothing to do with tuning. Unless maybe you swapped in a pre 96 engine.

i see your in cranberry, is your car registered in cranberry? (butler county)

if your car does not have an obd2 styl connector it would still go through the visual but the obd would be bypass and passed, now pcv all emissions components are supposed to be functioning properly also. Hope this helps

I swapped ECUs to OBD1 b/c of tuning potential. Chipping the ECU is more reliable than running a piggyback FMU and pretty cheap too.

Unfortunately I’m in Allegheny county. I didn’t have to do emissions until last year cause I’m right on the boarder of Butler and Alleghney county and have a Butler Mailing address. So emissions is required and I can’t do the <5000 miles thing b/c i’m going to be over that.

Is it possible to registar the car to a PO box in Butler and avoid emissions that way?

Thanks 22psi for the info helped out a bit.

roll back the odometer

correct me if i’m stupid but i thought that cranberry, being out of alleg. county, didnt require emissions??

Any other options?

R u still running a cat? And do u have a good tune on ur car?
U said u modified ur PCV system. How did u modify it? Mybe u can take it to a shop that can do some preliminary testing for ur emissions. if u find that you’d fail, u would have some time to clean up ur emissions b4 ur sticker expires.

PCV system is hooked up to a catch can. Cat is still on there. Main problem is the OBD2 to OBD1 cause they need to plug into that for emissions from my understanding.

So I guess my only option is remove injectors, ecu and wastegate spring. And fix the knock sensor if its broken.

make friends with an inspection mechanic?

Do you still have your 16pin data link connector on the car? Is your check engine light on? If you dont have a light and the connector is still there, go take emissions. You will still pass with an unable to connect your allowed that every other year. No one is going to take the time to look at your PCV valve.

what is emissions testing???..fayette county resident

If butler county doesn’t have emissions then I think I’m just going to try and register the car to a Butler PO box. Seems like that will be the easiest way.

by a 2nd cluster. drive your car 4k miles, pull original cluster, put 2nd one in. drive all the miles you want, swap clusters back to original before inspection and viola–under 5k miles.

or do as mentioned earlier. if u have the obd2 connector, and no cel on, a shop who cant hook up and read the obd2 port can still legally pass it.

Those are 2 of the best ways. But here is the way the crack heads do it. They go to new car dealerships and peal inspection stickers off new cars because there never locked…