Passing PA Inspection w/ JDM Engine

Anyone with a JDM swap, how did you pass PA Inspection/Emissions? I can pass the sniffer (although it’s done by computer now) with a univeral cat in the exhaust, but what about things such as the EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)? Also, did you run into anyone giving you a hard time as for it not being the “OEM” motor?

it totaly depends onthe car. if it’s an OBD2 car… you have to have the OBD2 ECU and all the emissions stuff. if it’s 95 or older… and it wil pass the sniffer… you can probably get away with some things missing.

Damn. It’s a OBD2 Car. :frowning: There’s always the $20 bill method. :wink:

only way your pasing if your exempt

get another cluster… make your car exempt

Originally posted by whitey
get another cluster… make your car exempt

Details?

I put a JDM OBDI engine into my OBDI chassis and passed no problem. I have no experience with OBDII cars, so I don’t know what all that will entail.

obdii will kill you… i’m never ever ever going to pass…

most places dont even know what cars came with egr valves and such…just dont take it to places like pep boys and stuff like that and u should be fine

see what your mileage was on your last inspection… find a cluster withing 5k of that and then boom. you are emissions exempt

exactly what obd2 chassis do you have? and exactly what jdm motor are you trying to put into it. there is more than likely a way to make it all completely legal, it all just depends on what i just asked above. but of course, there always is the less than 5k exemption.

straight from tha mv-131-(8-10):

The visual inspection shall be performed through direct observation or through indirect observation, using a mirror or other visual aid.

Provided that the make and model year of the vehicle would have originally been equipped with the device, you will hfail a vehicle for inspection if one or more of the following apply:

• the catalytic convderter has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.
  • EGR valve has been removed, disconnected, or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.
    -PCV valve has been removed, disconnected, or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.
    -Fuel inlet restrictor has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.
    -Air pump has been removed, disconnected, or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.
    -Evaporative control system components have been removed, disconnected, or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

Inspectors may use the Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) label in the engine compartment or an appropriate reference manual to determine which emission components were originally placed on a vehicle at the time of manufacture. Only those components (listed above) that were part of the original certified vehicle configureation are subject to the portion of the inspection. If a component was not originally on a vehicle at the time of its manufacture, it will pass inspection without it. When recording a component that was not part of the original configuration on the MV-431 (Inspection Record Sheet), a dash (-) should be used to indicate that it has not been overlooked.

like the azn said, any backdoor mechanic with a liscence isn’t going to pay attention. If its there, check. If its not, then dash (-). I wouldn’t even get into that and im pretty tough on stickers.

As far as having a different motor in a car, i believe its only cali that has to check the vin’s on the motors, otherwise you could have an sr20det in a Hyundai and as long as there was emission shiet on it, LICK’M AND STICK’M!!

so are you saying that if you are obdii you still have say of pass fail, as opposed to the computer pulling all the info automatically?

ie, my secondary air injection throws a code, so it’ll automatically fail me on my initial obdii scan… is there ANY way around this?

i’m thinking about swapping in a stock ecu like 45 minutes before inspection… this new shit is going to kill me… no doubt.

On Board Diagnostics has nothing to do with inspection. As long as everything works, its fine. If you have a check engine light, but it roadtest’s fine, then no biggie. I dont think i’ve ever failed a car for the check engine light being on. obd2 scan? mmmmnope

so you can inspect my car… and pass it, as long as stuff works?

but how do you test to see if stuff works, other than asking the ECU?

Originally posted by gearhead
On Board Diagnostics has nothing to do with inspection. As long as everything works, its fine. If you have a check engine light, but it roadtest’s fine, then no biggie. I dont think i’ve ever failed a car for the check engine light being on. obd2 scan? mmmmnope

thats what the new machines are for…if u have a CEL u fail until u fix what is wrong…

damn…i guess i gotta go get my sheit renewed :madfawk: PA

mine passed…

I just got my car inspected yesterday under the new emissions program

Basically if your car came with OBD2, it HAS to have an OBD2 ecu still, it cant have any CEL. there is no road test. visual and ECU only. also the machine copy the VIN from the ECU and uploads it to the State’s DOT. if a duplicate VIN is uploaded, they go right after the shop with a letter then a fine if its not fixed or straightened out. its impossible to PAY off a inspection place now. the unit has to record the VIN from the ECU else it wont pass, so no more sniff my buddies car for me stuff.

i believe there are no more exempts for OBD2 cars as the test takes all of 60 secs to run.

if you have a JDM or swap, you still MUST have a OBD2 ecu setup with no codes else you fail. JDM ECUs will not pass.

i dunno the rules yet for OBD1 cars or earlier yet. i know they get the normal sniffer for now.

i think this goes state wide next year? i dunno the phase in plan.