Oh Look, Another NYS Inspection Question

I know its been covered here before, but I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. Im hoping maybe some of you could shed some light on my FRIENDS HYPOTHETICAL situation.

Lets just say my friend had a stand alone ECU in his OBDII vehicle, and no access or intention to swap in an OEM ECU for inspection purposes.

1. What would be the best way to obtain an inspection sticker in NYS given his situation?

2. If said sticker hypothetically wasnt of the most necessarily lawful nature, which agencies would have access to the lack of inspection upon running the vehicle reg? I think I remember hearing troopers have access to the NYSDMV database and could tell if a vehicle has a valid inspection without ever even scanning the sticker but other local LE doesnt?

Im gonna hope this stands but if not, feel free to PM with any sort of info you have for my friends stupid crazy imagination.

You can’t re register the car if it doesn’t ever get an inspection…

You really need to run an OBDII PCM this is part of the reason everyone swaps in GM motors you can run a factory PCM but configure it to pass readiness at key on regardless of what emissions crap you lack.

Interesting. Thats funny though actually because I have this other friend who puts his car on and off every summer/winter and hasnt had a legit inspection in 3 years with no problem.

Any good online sources for PCMs?

Maybe Pauly will chime in on this…I thought doing the on the road/off the road thing would still flag for no inspection.

If the market was bigger for the OBDII readiness stuff I doubt it would be hard to code the correct responses NYS is looking for…

I found out last year that if the car hasn’t been inspected in the past 15 months you can’t register it until it has been. The DMV lady was surprisingly nice so I don’t think she was just doing it to be a pain, she said she literally couldn’t do it. I’m not sure what troopers and other LE can see but everything is now in a DMV database so I wouldn’t be surprised.

When a plate reading vehicle passes. It reads the plate which the DMV records shows an invalid inspection. At the officer choice to pull you over and investigate. A local board member once put a sticker from another vehicle on. He ended up with a very serious ticket(can’t remember the charge) it was a big mess.

The other option is having an inspection performed on the same type of vehicle but scanning your registration. I can tell you this is highly illegal and I worked at a shop that used to do this till they were caught. Once they were caught they received 3 fines per infraction ( one for the inspector, one for the inspection station, and one for being a vehicle retail dealer)

This has happened to at least one dealership also when they were hooking up similar cars to pass inspections.

It’s pretty simple go pre OBDII or get a car that has a PCM you can modify…

Those plate readers don’t lookup every plate real time they have a database of known expired reg/ins/whatever loaded into them btw.

I’m pretty sure that’s not possible as the ECU relays some vehicle specific information in most newer cars. I’m not positive on that but I was talking to my brother (who’s a chrysler tech) and he said that isn’t possible…I can ask for specifics next time I see him.

It worked for a really long time…

VIN wasn’t a requirement in a PCM until sometime in the mid 2000’s many companies had the VIN in the PCM at that point.

Yeah, I think I remember him saying “anymore” so perhaps the earlier OBDII it was possible in.

Here is a thought don’t get a car with a weak factory PCM if its OBDII?

chryslers have the most amount vin ready vehicles. In fact chryslers need the bcm to match the PCM to start. I clearly was at this shop when a certified letter came with a list of every vehicle.

Really doesn’t matter since I’m sure they load that list pretty regularly.

Seeing more and more cop cars equipped with these readers too.

I honestly think you would be better off just registering the car in a state with no inspection. Get a po box in Florida or something.

then you would probably need a florida license

I looked into it. At least for texas. There were ways around it.

My friend has famiry all over the country, hes pondered this option. Seems like it could be just as much or even more work through the years though. Would be nice to not have to pay/deal with all the NYS bullshit fees and procedures.

Can someone school me on the PCM route, im a little unclear on how that will exactly work? And also is it similar to these OBDII Sumulators? Anyone familiar with those?

I didn’t say there was an OBD-II simulator lol I said its possible

On LSx GM stuff readiness is based off error codes being tripped EGR/O2/AIR/etc if you leave them enabled but tell them not to report a car will pass all the readiness monitors when you key on.

Ok I was confused about the concept…

I am however seeing these things called OBDII Simulators though where apparently you program your vin and the values you want it to read, and then place the unit where your port goes and it simulates RPM, MAF, Coolant temp, and all the other things the computer looks for. I was wondering if anyone has heard of, or used one.

Havent watched the video or done much research yet but apparently someone on nasioc had some luck using this. Doesnt seem very legit though.

Edit: NM, looks like some guy just threw this together and did a small run. Sounds like hes asking big bucks for them now.

I assume the standard is documented somewhere and its not overly complex

Find out if that guy sells those boards maybe I will buy one?