how to get around emissions?

I just got a new vehicle (well, older car) to use for a street/strip car. I want to use it on the street, but it will probably have a carbed small block swapped in which eliminates most emissions equipment.

the car is a 97 BTW… anyone know a way to register it so I can do said swap and still be legal?

GOOD LUck…Unless u can find a way of still keeping the ECU active and fooling it to not throw any codes and pass the readiness test

The carb will fail a visual inspection reguardless of the codes.

this is a easy problem to fix. buy a beater get it inspected then scrape that sticker and put it on your summer car

unless he can pass it off as an EFI setup that some inspector doesnt know the difference

^ better hope you don’t get pulled over if you follow this plan. new inspection stickers have a barcode on them that allow cops to scan them and see if the sticker belongs to the car it’s on. well, they might not take the time to scan it…just make sure thast if you get pulled over, be nice to him to keep your ass pain to a minimum.

edit: meant for somedude’s post…yes it took me 2 minutes to type that…:bloated:

well, I know people that could inspect it for me that probably wouldn’t jerk me around for visual shit, but the actual hooking it up to a computer part is what worries me.

so there are no loopholes for this sort of thing? that’s f’n gay… no swapped street cars in NY after 96? hell, I wouldn’t even mind paying an extra fee to get some sort of special registration

i figured…not that many cops in the WNY area actual scan barcodes on Inspection stickers though…but even then u can only get 1 car inspected so many times before the computer wont issue u a sticker…i think 2 per year unless its under a new owner

just do what the california guys do … retain ALLLL the stock equipment and pull a stock swap any time its inspection time … car goes in for inspection perfectly stock

ehhh… sounds like a PITA :smiley: lol

maybe I’ll just keep the 281 in her for now

If You don’t VIN Swap it, You are out of luck.

Otherwise, You are out of luck.

You cannot scrape another car’s sticker. If You EVER get pulled over and get that scanned, You are in BIG trouble for having a fraudulent sticker.

Of course, if You don’t have a “buddy hookup”, when Your ECM gets scanned, You will fail… for lack of ECM.

You’d have to find a way to make a Stock -or- Stock-like ECM control the motor… or at least APPEAR to for inspection.

we’ll have them plug into my car, simple enough.

then when ur car gets inspected a couple of times a year they begin to wonder

ECU usually doesn’t have the VIN # in it (electronically) so scan your Registration sticker, then plug the ECU of another 97 :snky: (whatever you drive) to the DMV computer.

At least…ehhh…I assume that’s possible… :wink:

x…

ya then have fun trying to reregister the car

Sure you can swap an engine on any street car after 96 in NYS. But it has to be an engine that came in that car or a car of similar size and weight of the same manufacturer and it has to be from that year or newer…you can’t legally swap in an older engine on a street car.

kenmore cops and state troopers are starting to crack down :ohnoes:

sure You can… so long as You can make OBD II+ work with it.

obd1 cars ftw

so… in theory, if I wanted to swap a 4v 4.6L into it from a cobra or a lincoln… long as I use the same computer (from the car I’m swapping it into) and it says that everything is fine, and it’s an obd2 setup… I should be ok? I thought that the vin was stored in it? learn something new everyday.

besides, fuel injection is better IMO anyway