NYS inspection and computer changes?

I was wondering, i have a 96, was wondering if i had a newer computer (say 98)would the car pass obd2 inspection (if theres no CEL’s)?? :ohnoes:

most likely no because their are probably more sensors programmed into the obd2 than your obd1 has and if thats the case you will fail because of them. but telling us what car you have would also help

oh i have a 96 neon (OBD2), the 97-99 computers only have one change, and they moved the fan switch wire, which i can change, other than that sensor wise they are the same, meaning i should have 0 cEl’s, my question is when they connect it to the computer, will the fact it shows them a say 98 car when its a 96 fail me? i cant see why as your alowed to have a newer motor than your year?

oh and i should probly mention the motor going in is going to be a 99 motor and useing the 99 harness, hence the reason i wanna go with the 97-99 computer(there also more plentifull)

it should be fine if there are no codes. You are putting a newer motor in, so i cant see why there would be a problem

X2

X3

swappin in NEWER parts is perfectly legal, as its technicaly requires the car meet SRICTER smog standards.

you’ll be fine… just curious, what motor are you swapping from ->to?

if u had the computer taking to the dealership and the vin programmed in it then your fine but when a 96 and newer ecu is replaced vins have to be uploaded in.

i’ll be swapin to a 2.4l from a 99 stratus

i dont think that the neon ecu keeps vin stored. and if it does can’t you just go to the dealer to have it re-flashed with the current vin. line nitroinsane said.

the vins do not have to match to pass. when they do not match they end up on a list and are checked as to why they dont(read much higher than insp station level) when both vins are checked against reg data base and one vin is not registered its no problem. the problem comes in when there are 2 diff vins and they are both registered

so then what happens if you buy a mopar or afx performace ecu that does not have a vin on it?

nothing most replacement pcm’s have odd non-vin looking numbers

ok heres the real scoop you get arested, beaten, sodomised and killed
end of story!

well i guess i should sell the car then

I have a '97 Grand Prix, run a '98 PCM, and have a '99 engine.
VIN didnt match (even though I can/did end up changing it…forgot at the time) they asked why it didnt. I said, I got it from a salvage yard and they said, “ok”. All done.

just what i wanted to hear, thanks

yup, all you have to do is say the original went bad and you bought a replacement from a junkyard, they will be like “ok” or at most tell you, “we can let it go this time, but for next time you can go to the dealer and ahve the car’s vin swapped into the new computer”

Just for the record, my gf has a bone stock 00 neon.

The dudes who inspected it plugged it into the obd2 inspection computer. It kept coming up as a plymouth breeze.

They said its quite common for the computer to come up with the wrong car, they still passed it as a plymouth breeze.

First off the inspection station would never know that the pcm has been changed. the inspection machine does not tell them the vins dont match. if your gonna tell bs stories at least get your facts straight otherwise you look like an idiot. the only way for the statipon to tell if the vins dont match would be if they used a hand held first and ran the car info(which they would hve no reason to do) you make no sense. if you were there for an inspection they and they ran it through the machine they have no way of knowing (from the insp machine) that the vins dont match