NYS inspection and computer changes?

Why would I bullshit? I took the girlfriends neon in for an inspection, it came up as a breeze. This is two years in a row. When you get the pass sheet that you sign it says 2000 breeze. Her registration says 2000 plymouth neon.

I have a 1997 chevy with a 80 neon engine with a 06 viper pcm and i pass…stop fighting

justin wasnt towards you, i was reffering to the

VIN didnt match (even though I can/did end up changing it…forgot at the time) they asked why it didnt. I said, I got it from a salvage yard and they said, “ok”. All done

the breeze thing is read off either the reg sticker or the VIN plate (or door vin,hood vin, etc…) but you might want to check your registration and make sure its registered as a neon

okay i have called nys dmv headquarters and as long as youre obd2 and dont throw any codes you will pass. it doesnt even have to be an ecu from the same car as mine is a civic with an integra ecu. you may have problems elsewhere but as far as the inspection station youll be fine. i believe it has to be the same year or newer ecu as the vehicle.

The nys inspection computer can not read vins as of yet and i doubt they will anytime soon. they have no way of telling if it’s an aftermarket computer or not or even if it’s the same car. If your car comes up as something else then that’s a registration error b/c the computer scans a 3d bar code from the registration. ie: if it’s registered as a plymouth breeze then it’ll scan as a plymouth breeze. as long as there is no check engine light and the proper amount of emissions systems are ready(depends on year) then you will be fine.

Ummm VINs were not required to be in the ECU till after 2000something just so you know…

and the NYSI computer does not check the VIN you enter against the one that on the ECU…I can promise you…

perfect post with good information, which happens to be the CORRECT information. /thread.

This is kinda one of those things that i know a little about being i deal with it many hours per day LOL

ok I have a question,

My car came up from FL where there is no emmissions laws or testing so my car has no cat along with a bunch of stuff. Does that mean I have to replace all that stuff to get it registered?

if you are living here permanently now then yes

Will it still pass this way?

Yes but it throws flags for the station that performs the inspection.

ok so Is there a way around that cuz for one it would be a shitload monies to replace the stuff and 2 my SES light is on permenantly along with my Service light seeing as how I spliced the wiring harness when I did the swap.

Registered in NYS, yep!

You are basicly fucked. Is there ways around? Ya, but no shop is going to risk getting caught.

is there such shops willing to take the risk for a price

people are always willing to take a risk if the price is right. but all 96 cars and up HAVE to b plugged in. so ur gonna have to find the same year/make/model/engine that they can plug into instead of yours to make everything go smoothly.

also, some places that work on a lot of heavy duty vehicles and not a lot of cars, they don’t have the inspection computers because heavy duty vehicles don’t have the obd2 test. you can try one of those places, but i’m not sure how many are still around.

ok thanx for the answer I may just have found a hook up through my family. I will keep posted Thanx for the help

if you put an engine that didn’t belong in the car it shouldnt pass inspection. eg. putting a 2003 cobra engine in a 96 mustang gt. An inspection station should deny the inspection.

why? that’s like putting a gtp motor in a gt, or u could’ve done a top end swap and added a blower to the gt, how could u tell the difference? and how do u pass custom cars then? it doesn’t matter what motor is in the car as long as the safety/emissions correspond w/ the rules/regulations for the particular year.