NYS Inspection guys come in plz

if some one has a car thats a 1999 build year swapped with a motor/trans/ecu from a 98 car, will it show up on the inspection and fail? everything else is fine on the inspection, just the drivetrain is 1 year older than the car

thanks

It will be fine.

Wow, I can usually answer these by going to Don’s inspection thread sticky, but I don’t think this one is in the manual. I would assume fine as long as all the check engine stuff is working because the database would be huge if it was checking stuff like year of build.

if it throws no codes its fine

all that matters is that the ECU be the model year or newer as the model year of the car otherwise you are tampering with federal emissions equipment and AFAIK the NYSI computer can now read the VIN as all OBDII compliant computers store the vin in the ECU for flashing purposes. Even the most generic OBD II scanners can detect the year of the vehicle

Pauly can probably add to this better

As for beast, he needs an ecu. period.

Did beast get an ECU yet? Or is he still dealing with other issues?

nah the other stuff is all taken care of :bloated:

someone just pm’d me about a 98 ecu he was worried he wouldnt pass emmissions im pretty sure he’ll get it once this dude gets back to me :tup:

obd2 and no codes :tup:

so i was wrong. word.

this is why im glad my car is obd1 lol

He certainly can try it. If it is a manual he’s all set I just need to play operator with the ECU pins to get it to work. :tup:

i dont think the NYS scanner reads the ECU VIN #… i heard from a “friend” that was able to get his turbo 2000 tiburon inspected by scanning the ECU from a 1998 tiburon (motor/trans are the same, and the ECU would be swappable to the 2000 if needed)

and everything worked out fine…

that being said, when this system first came out… i did a lot of reading of a training manual that was posted online, and the NYS scanner only looks that the readyness codes and 02 sensor banks and stuff like that MATCH what the car SHOULD have according to NYS…

So if you put a 98 ecu running a 99 engine/trans etc it should be fine…

but if you scanned a Dodge dakota V6 and wanted NYS to think that it was a V8 car… that wouldnt fly because of a differance in the sensors that it reads…

:picard:
Ok how do i answer this without giving away too much.

1. Viper you are soo wrong its ridiculous.
  2. Jam providing there are no more than 2 drive cycle monitors unset and there is no codes stored it should pass. But I would not do it- Its not fair for the shop to have to pay fines/serve suspensions for your screw up

Pauly, I think he has a legitimate claim here. The motor on the car in question blew, and it was replaced with one from a different model year. He’s not trying to scan a different car and put the inspection sticker on a different vehicle, as viper996 has mentioned, so he’s not really “cheating”.

(aside from the fact that the ECU is one model year older)

1. I dont work for federal EPA but i will tell you it is illegal as per the clean air act to put an older engine into a newer body. I will tell you there is 1 guy in the state that investigates that shit, and he doesnt get involved unless its worth millions to the feds.
    Providing the 98 and 99 use the same drivecycle monitors you could re flash the VIN and you would have no problems.
    I dont know what kind of car this is so i dont know if it even is possible to flash the VIN without flashing the emissions program. If you purchased this ecu from a junk yard or something i would give a copy of the recipt(ecm) to the shop to include with their inspection daily report so that when we come to investigate it the shop has an answer. For the past 2-3 years i have been the only one that investigates these. And if i showed up at the shop to investigate this and the shop had no records/explantion of it, i would have to write the shop for a hearing which would result in fines/suspension/revocation. Recently there have been changes and there are many more people investigating these. This would account for viper’s tib passing. I may have been to busy to look into it, but i garauntee it was on my desk at some point in time.

so he would be better off purchasing a new same year ecu for his car, hanging on to the receipt, and showing it in case anything happens

that was his plan, but the new ecu is $450, a used one is $75. he cant find any used 99’s anywhere for some reason. mad ghey

A new ecu will come flashed. I dont know if you can even buy an unflashed one?
The year of the ecu may not matter, depending on if the 98-99 ecm’s are different. I assume since you cant find a 99 it is.

PM me with some details i’ll try to help you