Emissions question

Hi All,

I’m curious for the rules regarding inspections for a car with an engine swap, and what the requirements are to meet inspection needs. It’s for a 98 e36 BMW, has a swapped M3 motor in it. The state it’s potentially coming from doesn’t do emissions inspections in that area (PA) from what I can tell on their website, so it wasn’t a concern. If it has cats and mufflers, and a working OBD-II connection without CELs, would it pass? Is there any identifier in the OBD-II test that might show the ECU from another VIN or something that could cause me issues?

I searched on the DMV website and tried Carnut’s sticky links, but the links are no good anymore for the DMV website references. Can anyone point me in a direction for that or provide updated links? I’ve searched and found a few answers on non-NYSpeed forums, but they contradict each other…

Thanks!

Pretty much you need your monitors to set with exception of 2. Being a 98 you get to pass with 2 not ready monitors. As long as you don’t have a cel and you can set monitors i.e. Catalyst, o2, evap etc. I believe you might need the donor card vin to scan since that’s the pcm that it came from. Could be wrong tho.

I don’t think a 1998 would have a vin encrypted into the ECM, and I don’t think NYS OBD would be looking for it being that it’s a 98. I’d imagine you’d be fine, but, could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doesn’t matter if it had a vin stored is different as long as the stored vins 10th digit is higher/newer then said car. but like most said here the dmv only looks for readiness being set and no codes.

Ive passed many LS swapped cars at work with no issues.

VIN was’t even a requirement in a PCM until well into the 2000s.

Like someone mentioned you can swap same model year motor in or newer as long as all emissions equipment is there.

Thanks All!