Would this work?

Alright I have a 1996 Mustang with a V6 that is supercharged. I am currently rebuilding that motor but might be going a different direction if this works out. Since I am 96+ as I am sure you all know gay NYS plugs into the obd2 port for emissions. Ford still produced 5.0s after 95 but not in the mustangs (as some of you might know) but in explorers and mountainers. The question I need answered is can I run a explorer our mountainer ECU and wiring harness in my mustang so I can pass stupid emissions? Just wondering if all ford did to these computers was add stupid little stuff to them. Would also use explorer or mountainer engine harness and what not (have to I think)

Reason why I ask is because I can get a complete 5.0 really cheap. thanks

I don’t know if it would work or not but you might want to consider saving yourself some headache’s and selling your car and getting a 94 or 95 GT

that wont work vin is stored in the pcm would come up wrong put the 5.0 in and get another car you can get inspected and swap the sticker you didnt hear that from me

VIN doesnt matter for inspection. The VIN in my PCM doesnt match the VIN on the car and I passed inspection back in november.

so would I have any problem then? :slight_smile:

As for selling the car, as of right now there is no engine or transmission in the car so it would be hard to sell. I am in the process of rebuilding my 3.8 and friend offered to sell me his 5.0.

Ask (Pauly) he would definitely know the answer to this question. 100%.

Who me?? LOL yes most obd2 cars have the VIN stored (read most. not all) yes mismatched vins will pass a NYSI (its to allow for replacement pcm etc…) the problem is for the shop that inspects it not the car owner. Switching stickers is not the right way to go either due to registration based enforcement is scheduled to start. what that means is that if your car is due to renew your registration and has not been inspected in 12 months you will not be allow to re register it until it is first inspected. umm Roots it sounds like a head ache, finish your 6 or buy a v8 car

I thought that if an engine swap was done, you just have to pass the inspection standards from the car it came from?

You can do it but it would be smarter and easier to sell your car and get a 5.0. Bam, done

No. If i put a big block out of an old muscle car into my 2000 TA it has to pass the inspection for a 2000 car. And if im not mistaken, legally you are only allowed to swap a motor of the same year or newer into a car.

ding ding ding jeeves knows what he speaks of. one of the digits of your vin 6th or 7th?? is the emissions system on the car. gotta match the car well…legally