emissions and turbo question

is it possibly to do a turbo on my turd of a 97 vw and still mass emissions. my inspections guy only doesn’t look at anything under hood or car., as long as there are no codes when he plugs in it passes.

not looking for anything crazy, just thought maybe i could piece together a little setup for cheap that would be fun and reliable. if not i’m gonna sell it

obdII = no visual in pa

yeah, thanks for your help

As long as there are no codes, and you have a cat in place, you should pass emissions fine.

i think don is more asking about options of kits or setups that will run well and NOT throw a code!!! not to be a dick, but we’re all pretty much aware that you won’t pass inspection with a check engine light!!!

don, doesn’t c2 or some other BS company make chips for boosting 2.0s? i’m sure that they wipe the codes… actually talk to sailor… we flashed a 2.0 chip and got rid of some codes with a GM PIM… i know the bottom end is there for boost… go for it!

I wouldn’t imagine CELS would be a big thing for him. As long as everything is installed properly form a kit, no CELs, right? right.

don’s not goign to buy a kit… he’s too westmoreland county for that!!! :slight_smile: i wouldn’t either… but burning the OEM computer iwth a chip to avoid emissions issues may be a good idea.

definitely can be done… smt6 + gm map sensor + coolant temp sensor = good running boosted 2.0

I had so much bad luck with chips, but this was also 3 years ago

Whitey would be the person to consult on the SMT, he has helped me out bunches.

i cant reflash obd2 ecu’s, only obd1.

c2 was making a nice chip, but u have to run what the chip is made for turbo and injector wise which means $ b/c ur not going to be running junkyard turbo parts.

gotta look at how much money u want to spend, and how much power…

best bet is to buy a 2nd cluster, and swap it b4 5k miles and then install original cluster back in. then be under 5k miles exempt, no emissions to worry about.

you don’t want the headache of VW turbo
i have the same exact thing here and everything is a royal pain in the butt. Say sell the VW and buy something with factory turbo

if i sell it i’m getting myself the 2dr tahoe i always wanted.

wrong still visual…

but in all honest after dealing with vw if i had toturbo one that is non turbo i would kist drop a 1.8t into it rather then adding a turbo to a non turbo engine

ask whitey i know he had a hell of a time with his jetta when he wanted to turbo it. but if your not doing it for big power

i would just roll down the window and between shifts just make psssssssssst noises and you will be whole lot better

Not unless you remove either the “cheap” or the “emissions” qualifier. C2 is your best bet for OBD2 plug-in emissions compliance, but to do a good reliable mechanical setup along with their software, you’re undoubtably gonna spend more $ than it’s “worth” to you.

It would be cheaper and easier to sell your 2.0l and buy a VR6 GTI.

or just swap in a factory vw turbo motor!!!

what kind of visual?

not saying I passed with anything illegal or anything like that :kekegay:

still supposed to look for egr/cat equipment during the safety check as well as the smog testing.

i thought it could be done cheaply, oh well. i’m gonna get the tranny fixed and sell it. and find a 2dr tahoe

smart move, but if you were going to turbo it find a 1.8t that woiuld be badass scoot then

i was only gonna do it if i thought i could do it for under 500 bucks.