Turbo Civic Emissions Question

i have a 99 civic ex with a d16y8
the only reason im not turboing my civic is because Its my daily and its in my parents name and it would have to pass inspection and emissions legally (or at least appear to be legal).

my question is…if i would drive it until the odometer is about 2500- under 3000 (or whatever emissions exempt is) miles past the last time it was inspected then put a different gauge cluster in so i can keep track of my real miles…and then when it gets inspected put in the real gauge cluster…would they not check emissions and therefore it wouldn’t matter if my check engine light was on due to my obd1 ecu being in an obd2 car?

what is the rule on emissions exemption (like how many miles does it have to be under)

thanks

If you keep it under 5000 miles and you have it done a full calender year from the previous emissions test it would qualify for exemption, check engine light or not. As for the swap of the gauge cluster, don’t get caught because your tampering with the true mileage and I’m pretty sure that’s against some kind of Federal Law.

the odometer trick will work. you have to keep it under 5k a year. but i don’t think it’ll pass with a cel.

i work at an emissions garage if its obd2 even if its exempt if its got a cel on we have to scan it and youll still fail

well i’d just unplug the cel if i could…and just curious…how would i get caught…like if i get pulled over the cop wouldn’t check my mileage on my car would he…but if its just keeping it under 5k…i think i might be able to do that without swapping odometers…if i had to drive anywhere far i could them mess with it

even if you unplug the MIL (the check engine light), the computer would show it commanded on (if it’s still an OBD II system). I checked the PennDot Emissions book, just to be sure, and as long as you have owned the car for a full year, and driven less than 5000 miles in one full calender year since the last emission test, than it’s exempt and you are good to go.

Why not do a small Carb compliant turbo setup? Why go through all this nonsense?

or a B series swap… probably more drivable and reliable?

I agree with dyingwish and SMort, do a carb legal turbo setup or swap in a b18b or b20.

correct me if im wrong… but if your obd1, no cel and they hook up the obd2 scanner… it should say ‘unable to connect’. will that pass like that?

nope i wanted to buy a 1996 honda civic with a 94 b18c1 gsr swap and when i took it to my mechanic and tryed hooking it up the scanner said unable to connect with computer and told me it would fail regardless of cel’s

light on fail

no connection fail

not able to check enough monitors fail

swaping out guages and doing sahdy shit like that then talking about that on the internet

dumbass

ok what exactly is a carb legal turbo setup
(is there any way for me to do a turbo setup with an obdII ecu?)

and the reason why im not swapping is because i think i could piece together a turbo setup for a fraction of the cost of doing a b or h swap

and sinister…ur right i’m a real dumbass talking about doing shady shit on the internet cause everyone knows who I am and what kind of car I drive

A CARB legal kit for your car can only be obtained from Greddy. They make the entire kit, including a piggy-back ECU called the BlueBox, that’ll be an out of the box bolt-on turbo setup that will be complete with CARB exempt numbers. This will work with an OBD2 car.

isn’t edelbrocks kit carb legal?

good point, I forgot about that kit.

why wouldn’t you be able to use a turbo on an obd2 car? I drive an f-body, and there are a ton of forced induction kits that run on obd2. I dont see why a honda would be any different. Yeah you have to change the timing and fuel maps, but that shouldn’t be any big deal.

Hondas OBD2 ECU do not allow for ignition/fuel map adjustments…actually only AEM’s (over a grand by itself) can do it. None of the other systems function on OBD2, they require a jumper harness to convert back to OBD1

carb legal :rofl: :rofl: thats a good one!

those carb legal ones are wwwaayyy too expensive