question about inspection

i live in allegheny county, and i have a question about the emissions/inspection.

what if i were to just put a SBC in a newer car, what would the laws be?

i know this is a stupid question, but lets say i went out and bought a 99 monte carlo, and put a carbed 350 in it

would there be any way to make it totally legal to drive?

what about emissions, since it is obdII, what would happen

thanks, and sorry if this was at all confusing

they go buy whats newer,(the car or motor)Just LS1 it!

Regardless of what motor goes in it, it will have to pass/confirm to that vehicle years emissions standards. If it was a 99 monte, then that SBC would have to be obdII, have all the emission components and pass the diagnostic port tests.

yeah

whatever motor is in the car has to pass for that year chassis regulations

what if you dont drive it 5k miles a year and it is exempt from emissions?

or can you register it as a hotrod, etc, or something like that, or is there basically no way to make it able to pass?

I run without a CAT and I don’t even get a visual inspection because car does under 5K a year and is exempt. But it could also be that the place I take to doesn’t care. I don’t know if it is supposed to be still checked for anything when it is exempt. I know they don’t OBDII it, but that wouldn’t matter since my ECU is programmed to not throw a code for no CAT.
I don’t know the limits of what “exempt” means. But if you’re under 5K a year, you should be good, I’d think. “Exempt” should mean just that.

If the vehicle is under 5k miles, then there is no emissions procedure and the exemption is issued. It could be billowing black smoke out 5’ stacks and it wouldnt matter.

are you a inspection station :dunno:

I think even if you are exempt under the 5K rule, you still have to pass a visual emissions inspection.

Yet another good reason to move to FayettNam…:blue:

butler

no visual on an OBD II exemption in allegheny

emissions is completely different from state here. hence the 2 licenses you need. now butler, which is a non I/M county, visual is a part of state inspection, in which case you’d fail state for no cat

your better off staying in an IM county now. example: If your registered in butler county all emissions componants for that chassis is required for a state inspection.

I wasn’t gonna say it but you practically did

obd II is easier to beat than visual. I hope this doesn’t change for a while