engine rebuild. need volunteers. :)

tnc is well known for its helpful members so im asking for anyone that can help me rebuild my engine. i need my engine running by the next cscs event and the shop that was supposed to do it for me is fully booked til end of july/early august. right now patrick is already gonna help me. im basically looking for people to help me pull it apart since patrick is pretty busy and wont be able to help me as much as he’d like. i know absolutely nothing about rebuilding and engine but i know where to get parts. what im hoping for is people like terry(machining), bountywolf, anthony or pretty much anyone that knows this stuff. everything will be done in my garage and people will always be fed plus have free use of the pool afterwards. :wink:

P.S. i have almost 0 tools and im just borrowing patricks engine hoist.

I could give you a hand pulling out the engine no problem

Borrowing my hoist, and my assistance with the rebuild.
Following that or around the same time will be RABBITs tranny change and Shorteazs 5 speed tranny swap.

tnc should start their own shop. lol. UPDATE : car is finally home and is just waiting to be worked on. =)

any help will be greatly appreciated and i’ll try to feed you guys as much as possible.

Hey Alex. My hoist is ready whenever you are but I probably won’t be able to help until after Wednesday or the Weekend. Start pulling the other stuff off first.

i dont know where to start. plus i dont want to remove something and not remember how to put it back. at the very least i can probably start removing air intake and the piping to it.

Change of plans. I believe Bountywolf and I are coming by tomorrow. Prolly around 7. Not sure. I’ll call you to verify/

call me for the moday after 7pm…i can b of some help.
what tools are req’d for day 1?

mostly pliers and sockets.
these are main fair for anyone working on a car…go get some for yourself you’ll never regret these tools…they are the bread and butter of tools.
next to hammer and measuring tape and screwdrivers.

after that you “START” getting fancy.

lol measuring tape are we doing drywall and seeing what furniture and appliances fit in this car? I have a measuring tape in my box at work and I think I’ve taken it out of the drawer twice in 5 years and I think once was sexually motivated hahaha.

but yeah like he said get yourself a nice socket and ratchet set, some wrenches, angled and straight needle nose pliars (they come in handy for hose clamps) , hammer, some prybars and various screwdrivers and you can do a full engine swap.

I’ve done buddies engines in their driveways with only hand tools . basic tools are usually all you need most cars dont require anything special. Go buy yourself a set from crappy tire, my friend has a nice one he picked up for like 100 bucks. check for sales and deals.

Luckily for me I work at nissan so I just bring my car inside and dont have to do the driveway thing

[QUOTE=assass1n;31174]

“i know absolutely nothing about rebuilding and engine”

"P.S. i have almost 0 tools"QUOTE]

this is going to end in disaster.

do not let anyone touch the internals of the motor unless they know exactly what they’re doing. that includes yourself alex!

i dont know when the next CSCS event is, but i cant see this happening quickly. if you did infact spin a bearing, you will need time for machine work.

dont order any internal parts.

I will help if i can, but I am maad busy with my own cars… I will try though

im guessing the motor is still in the car, if you can, you should remove it and remove the accesories, just what ever you do, dont start taking the motor itself apart!!!

Measuring tape was there for the “basic tools” list…
ever add a second alternator??? how ya goona know what size belt?

bah anyway… otherwise its true… it almost never gets used…but…
its part of the basic tool set… besides they’re like $1

along with hammer…“big friggin to teenie weenie” pry bars hex and torx sockets etc.

but to stay basic…
the monster flat head that comes with most screw driver sets will usually cover the pry bar end of things… for removal of the engine anyway.

for doing internals get proper tools!!!..

sometimes a spun bearing will only need replacement…and unless you cant get that oil pan off…you may not need to remove the engine…
I dunno

this almost never happens…verrrrry rarely can you get away with just an emery sanding…but it does happen (maybe 5%-ish of the time).

but an inspection of the bearing and journal and crank will let you know before you take the engine out.