Engineers: Which minor? CE/EE?

So far I’m qualified to 250V and can operate 4160V switchgear. I’ve got the green light to get 600V qualified this year. :tup:

care to elaborate with more specifics?

bumped. Went to the EE department today to get the paperwork. Due to the prereq’s it will be 2-3 quarters before I can start on this. I will only need to take 4 more classes to get the minor though.

Now this wont be important for a while but I want to be prepared for the meeting I’m having next week with the EE advisor; which should I pick and why:

Digital Systems
Microcomputer systems
Computer Architecture
Linear systems 1
EM Fields 1
EM Fields 2
Electronics 1
Electronics 2
Control Systems
Mechatronics
Communications
Digital Electronics
Linear Systems 2

dont 4get to check professors ratings on ratemyprofessor.com

saved me from a handful of assholes where that my buds had to suffer through

bump re: post #23.

and if I’m allowed I might take intro to C-programming/matlab this quarter as a gimme class.

I don’t know what you would do with a lot of that stuff (might just be my ignorance) but I can see an ME with a minor in control systems making you a great candidate for a job at Moog, Praxair, 3M, Linde, and Airsep in Buffalo, just off of the top of my head. You’d have a great foundation for understanding processes, the machines that run the processes, and the electronics that control them.

I have to pick three from that list. Sorry, I forgot to say that.

Do you have any course descriptions?

Most of those classes sound similar to the stuff I have taken.
My recollection is that Control systems in school != real world control systems.
(the stuff I have worked with has needed very little calculation work)

Matlab is good to learn, but if your workplace wants to use it, it is extremely expensive.

Also look into good statistics courses. It’s very important to recognize shit data.

I can get course descriptions in a bit. I have to take Engineering Statistics for the ME degree and Probability statistics for the EE minor. The probability statistics will count as a math/science elective for the ME (as will complex var). Double dip ftw.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

here ya go!

I would personally take the following based on what I have experienced in the “Real World”

Mechatronics, Control systems and see if you can get into the Data Acquisition class (labview)

I would take control systems, mechatronics, and digital systems. Depending on your career path there’s a chance you will not use what you learn in the control systems class but all three should give you some good experience

there is a labview class, I’m in it now. its basically a walk through with in-class work. Or is there another one you are talking about?

That was the one I was thinking of.

so that stuff is useful outside the scope of class? had me fooled.

I use Data Acquisition every day in engine performance, might not be lab view directly but it kind of relates to the software that I use. looks good on the resume too, depending on the job :slight_smile: