EVAP problem

okay my mom has a 99 dodge stratus…its a 2.4 and its throwing a code. P0455 which is large EVAP leak. now my question is whats the best way to look for an EVAP leak and does anyone have a diagram of the EVAP system? thanks!

-Anthony

May sound dumb but did you check the gas cap? If thats not the problem it could be the filler neck or something along those lines leaking.

no its not the gas cap. i dont think its the filler neck she hasnt said anything about it leaking gas. can i check the lines with a smoke machine?

check all vacume lines and if there is no obvious leak, then get a can of brake parts cleaner and spray it on all the vacume lines where there could be a leak while the car is running and it should start to bog out.

thats what i was going to try first thanks!

I found this for the car there was a TSB about that code:

Description: This bulletin involves a new diagnostic test for the LDP system.
Details: MIL illumination with one of the following DTC:
P0442 EVAP Leak Monitor .040 Leak Detected (Medium Leak)
P0455 EVAP Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected
P0456 EVAP Leak Monitor .020 Leak Detected (Small Leak)
If one of the above DTC’s are present, perform this diagnostic test first before proceeding with the diagnostic procedures in the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedure Manual.
Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist. Locate the LDP vent valve. Remove the vacuum hose from the top of the vent valve (Fig. 1). Attach a hand vacuum pump to the vent valve and apply 20” Hg. vacuum. Observe the vacuum for 10 seconds. If the vacuum holds between 15.5” Hg. and 20” Hg., refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedure Manual, MDS2, or the Leak Detection Pump Operation and Diagnosis booklet (Publication No. 81-170-000606) for further diagnosis. If the vacuum drops below 15.5” Hg., obtain the appropriate LDP vent valve using the Mopar parts catalog and perform the Repair Procedure.
Parts required:
4669865 LDP vent valve

trace the line to the evap canister