96 s10 evap leak

Tips? Smoke test?

Or is there an easier way?
Where to go? Innovative wont pick up or return my message.

What’s the code?

care to elaborate on whats going on with the truck?

P0442 if i recall correct. Ill check at home.
No problems running, just needs a sticker

How’s the fad cap fit how’s the filler neck there’s a stupid hose right where the spare is on these that commonly crack. If u think the filler neck and cap are in good shape I would get a smoke test. Plenty of other shops cans smoke test fairly cheap. Psychopjv works at eric1stop auto in tonawanda. They are very cheap on labor

Filler runs down to a rubber hose… filler looks crappy. I can smell gas down there… i rubbed my hand on the connection and my hand smelled like gas… hmmm

Would a small leak be visible?

Buy a new gas cap, oem

No, in fact. “Pinholes” can throw the code.

Put some gas tank patch on any “welds” that connect the vent tube to the filler. Buff the inside of the filler neck where the oring seals from the camp…these are all assuming that is what is leaking.

If you can time it right get all your sensors ready except the EVAP and then get it inspected. Hard to do unless you have a OBDII scanner on board to constantly check it.

Thanks… :slight_smile:

Just to update on the final result…
The inspection man passed it through, he said he cleared it and it didn’t come back on. In fact it still hasn’t come back on… But I only drove it maybe 80-90 miles since then.

He said there’s 2 leaks in the gas tank, and 1 in the filler neck. He said he did not see any liquid smoke, only vapor.
So it looks like a gas tank + filler and fuel lines will be going on it in the spring along with a list of other fun things.