Evo guys I need your help

I am in the market for a evo.I have decided on the 06 evos because of the look and I this is year they got diff turbo if I what I have read is correct.I am unsure whether to go 5 or 6 spd.I have read mixed things on the 6 spd,some say its complete junk others say its great if you keep up with maintenance.So any help on this subject would be great

it depends on what you want to do with the car… some people destroy the 6spds with minimal mods and others have them hold up fairly well. also, for drag racing the 6spd isnt ideal because of the gearing, unless you like shifting 5 times down the 1/4, but that as well isnt all necessary depending on what kind of power the car makes.

i would say for a sub 500awhp car if you really want the 6 speed, go for it. either way both trannys can take a pretty good beating, my stock trans went through hell before it finally went…

in the end it really just depends on what kind of power you want the car to make and use for it is. i myself have always preferred the 5 speed over the 6 in these cars.

Thanks for the advice,as far as mods go I will probably just go with the buschur exhaust,intake manifold,Stm.charge piping kit and a tune.I have a 350whp civic now and I’m just kind of not into really modifying a ton to get power,I rather start with a decent amount and work from there

if you want an evo i would wait another year or so, right now the prices are so artificially inflated its crazy, i personally didnt mind the 6 speed but i was only making mid 300’s… next time around i would go with a gsr with the ssl package

Hmm good idea,gives time to save up more for a downpayment and mods Haha

I’m happy with my IX GSR. Pretty sure I could turn mine around right now and sell it for more than I got it for, ha. Prices are high on them, definitely might want to wait a bit.

i didnt know evos had either tranny, is that what makes one an MR?

MR is 6-speed.

same motor though?

Bilstein shocks, BBS wheels instead of Enkeis, vortex generators, aluminum roof, etc.

edit: yes, 4G63T in all versions, same output.

yeah, prices are insane right now… I sold mine like 3 years ago and could get the same price I sold it for today if I still had it.

Well you get what you pay for. This is the last year for Evo X’s (2012) and since Evo’s were “affordable” for awhile many people bought and consequently crashed them. Honestly if you think $20,000 for a 9 MR is a lot of money perhaps you should be looking at 100k mile 03 Evo 8’s?

I have been seeing the 06 MR go for around 23k which is not bad when you consider what your getting for the money.I defiently found the place though i plan to buy a evo from.Its www.cosmomotorsonline.com

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

I also kind of need to sell my civic before i get a evo also,wife says only one play car at a time haha

It depends what your plans are. If you plan to make some pretty good power, ditch the 6 speed idea unless you want to get it built. There is Shep last I checked which charges around $2500/full rebuild to support power for the 6 speed, or TRE for a little over $1,000 and that is just for a freshen up and make the 6 speed a little more durable, less noisy.

The 6 speed is known to overheat from lubrication problems. You can be safe with 350whp on a stock 6 speed, it’s the TQ that blows a gear. I had luck with using Castrol Syntorq(mopar synthetic) The OEM fluid is a mineral oil, some like it some don’t.

For a DD either will do though, 5 speed for drag and 6 speed for road racing. Sure the gears are shorter but I didn’t mind the 6 speed, up until a few months ago.

Have u tried evolutionm.net? great FAQ threads and lots of info. Goodluck in ur search I loved my mr but I kept it stock.
Off topic:U r from Eldred PA my grandparents Lived there nice lil town sorry if it’s unrelated lol.

Thanks for the info,yes I live in Eldred now but originally from cheektowaga.It is a nice small town,no car scene though its sad when a 350whp d16 is fastest car around Haha