Exhaust advice needed!

Hey guys,

I’m really new to all this but I want to get started right away. I have a stock, stripped 92 F/B with 261XXXKMs on it which I’m going to drive to school over the winter(4KMs a day). I am planning on doing a swap probably a CA18DET or a SR20DET over the winter so I can drive her with her new heart in spring. However I was wondering could I buy a universal type N1 muffler just the muffler, take off the N/A muffler hook it up to my current stock piping (which is what diametre in size again?) and then later on down the road take it off and hook it up to the exaust system of my new engine.

Also I somewhere read on the boards that you can replace the cat with a test pipe, drive it “undercover” and easily hook the cat back up when it’s time for inspections. Is this true and would you guys recommend it? Do you have any links to places where I could buy a test pipe and all the necessitees from?

I would like a more aggressive sound, maybe some easy increase in PS and I am going for the rawr kind of car(no interior, no electronics just sound, performance and feeling).

p.s. I don’t care how loud it is or if I will get some more attention from the police

any input you guys have on this would be greatly appreciated =]

~mark

you could probably get away with the cat and dont buy just a muffler that does nothing but ad sound wait till you do a motor swap and replace the hole exhuast with a performance one who needs cat`s anyways after 3grand they sound like shit

If you get a cat-back system then there is no need to replace it when you do a swap, so I’d go with that.

I would recommend getting a high-flow cat instead of a test pipe. You will not notice any considerable difference between that and a high-flow on most setups.

There is really no point in buying just a muffler as it really does nothing for you other than make you look and sound like a complete tool.

OK,

so you’re saying that if I buy let’s say an apexi or HKS cat back system for a KA24DE I will be able to fit it to one of my new engine options stated earlier?

that would be cool =]

thanks for the rapid responses guys!

~mark

Yes. The rear section os going to be the same no matter what.

The only thing that would be different on either the CA or SR is the Downpipe. Other than that the rest of the exhaust is the same.

Thanks so much for your help man! You just made my day seeing as now I can go ahead and order a nice exhaust and keep it for my next engine =].
Is there a specific exhaust system you can recommend or is it more personal preference?

hope to talk to you some more sooner or later…

~mark

Always drive with a cat, its not worth a $100 ticket for having no cat on ur car. When replacing it with a text pipe will do nothing. U would be lucky to see 2 or 3 hp at the flywheel.

Replace ur current cat with a high flow cat like mentioned. I would stay away from the the ceramic core(normal) catalytic converters. I recommend looking into getting a metal core cat. Ceramic cores have a tendency to blow, i know ive had two of them go, and one only lasted me a month, but hey i drive my car hard.

Here is a link to vibrant cats

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1022_1035_1063_1111&osCsid=e3a59403c9a18d06742801249de2ae3a

they are a little more pricey then a regular cat, but u will never have to replace it. Magnaflow also has a metal core cat. If u go to ur local dealer they can help you out. I talked to the rep this year at performance world and he said they are an amazing new thing because of the problems with blow outs on ceramic cores

hope that helps a little more

Thanks bro,

I’ll make sure to consider the suggested options before I make a final decision. I’m just not sure about what is the more “hardcore” option. I want this car to sound mean even with “only” a KA24DE right now =P. How do I go about that? I heard that you get that rawr sound from not having a cat and that you hear backfire =].

thanks in advance

~mark

Click the link in my sig.

That’s with a Blitz DP, Magnaflow cat, and Bing’s CB; all 3" of course.

If you want hardcore then you want a Trust DD. Hard to find but it has always been a favorite o8f mine. Other baller selections include HKS or Greddy TI, Blitz Nur spec R, Bee*R, JIC, Dart.

all those exhausts mentioned will give u the sound u want. But honestly, get off the fricken idea of getting rid of ur cat. There is no HP increase, yes ur car will backfire like shit, and its pointless…a high flow 3 inch cat will give u a better sound then the stocker 2.25

Hey Mark just get a nice 3 inch catback, it will fit your car now “and” when you do the swap.