F.I. vs. Carbed (bikes)

Did a quick search, could not find a thread on this.

I have been in the market for a bike for the past few weeks. I am finding deals on on older f4’s but from what i’ve been hearing…ponying up the money for a FI bike is the best way to go. Opinions/experiences appreciated. Thanks

Carbs- If well tuned can perform just as well as an FI system

That being said, nothing beats on the fly Map changes by a power commander, and not having to fiddle with jets, syncing carbs, etc etc… Changes in external conditions are changed with minimal effort on an FI bike.

ALSO, who likes fiddling with a choke on a cold morning? Cold starts on a carb bike can be annoying…

I’ve owned both, my FI bikes have been preferred by me in all cases, BUT… if you can find a bike thats a decent deal i say do it, but if it came down to a 2002 zx-6r (carbed) or a 2003 zx-636r (fi) and the difference in price was ~1000, id pony up the money, its newer, technology is WAY better, resale will be way better, throttle response is better, ITS MUCH easier to mod an fi bike. Id even say the same with an f4 vs f4i, if the f4 was mint, id spend ~3k on it, id spend 4500 on a mint f4i though. (I bet a lot of people on here would agree with that too)

EDIT: there is nothin wrong with carbed bikes, but if the difference in years and price are minimal, id say make the jump, you’ll be glad you did

http://www.sportriders.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10210&highlight=fuel+injection+carbs fwiw… this was covered over there lol

Thanks alot willybean, I know from being a memeber on here you know your shit. I have been hearing the same thing from a lot of people and now it’s just a matter of finding the right deal. If an older carbed bike is priced right I may go for it but as of right now I am shooting for something FI for sure. If you or anyone else hears about a good deal definintely shoot me a PM.

Edit: thanks for the link also, I am not a member currently but will be in about 5 min:tup:

I definitely liked fi better; it’s more reliable, easier to tune, and you don’t have to clean, tune, or jet any carbs.

but, recent (99+) carbed bikes really aren’t that awful. both my r6’s were carbed and it was fine. I hated my 94 ninja though, the carbs were a pain in the ass.

Love the luxury of fi on my 636 for sure. if you can afford one do it, but i mean don’t get held back from a good carbed bike

^Thank you sir, and the search continues

Carbed has a faster throttle response then FI, but like said its a lot easier tuning FI then carbs

conflicting info??

I like the throttle response with a carbed bike much more then FI. Seems a lot more snappy with a carbed bike if it is tuned right.

gotya…basically the point is… a carbed bike is more of a bitch compared to the ease of tuning/maintaining a FI bike.

Carburated bikes are more fun because of the engine kill big bang effect. I mss it had a lot of fun on my 99’ R6

KK

wat?

throttle response is better on carbed bikes.

carbed really isnt that bad. as long as its a newer bike with lower miles you’re fine

i rode a couple carb’d bikes and got used to the throttle response. then i got on an FI bike and thought i was going to get thrown off the back of it.

that being said, i own a carb’d bike and i’m pleased.

the response on my FI r1 is better than my old carbed tuned r1

hrmm…

Carb’d bikes are easier to tune imo, there’s so much electronic emissions bullshit on the new FI bikes. Yes when the bike is cold it can be finnicky and varying temps also change how it runs but all of the shit my friends go through trying to fool their ECU’s and tuning their power commanders, I’ll stay carb.

+1 throttle response on an FI bike is way more responsive.

I agree, I would go quite far out of my way to find a FI bike over a carbed bike.

i had a 99 ninja carbed stage 2 jet kit and full exhaust and i now have a 03 r6 fi and i cant say how much i love the fi.