F my life compared to did I get F'd over!

So as some of you know i snapped a spark plug off on my block. ended up getting it out but with my luck something fell in.

we talked with my uncle and friend and they told us of this guy, dont remember the name or shop, they said he would give us usually a great deal and work with us with money. well we talk to him and have the car towed. we tell him we need the car back asap so he knows.

first week no work done to the car
second week the guy pulls one plug and sticks a scope into the cylinder to see whats wrong. no work after that done
-says that there are scratches on the wall but cant find pieces
third week the guy apparently is having problems getting the head off, so the lady told us.
he calls us back about 2 days later telling us sorry he hasnt done much work to it because of being busy with other cars, which again we told him we needed the car.
he didnt say anything about the head not coming off or anything like that, and said the car would hopefully be done soon
talk to him almost 4 weeks later and he says hes firing up the car either tonight/in the morning, meaning today.
from my knowledge, the only things that were replaced were gaskets, oil, and what ever else needs to be replaced when you pull stuff off an engine. nothing about a new head, nothing about a new piston, but i guess he needed to smooth out the cylinder wall. ok i can understand obviously. he found the pieces and all and put the engine together. tells my mom today that its going to be $1300.

im fucking pissed off now, 3-4 weeks to wait for my car, nothing big sounds like it was replaced, i understand gaskets and labor and oil but $1300 to do work on one cylinder, half the engine was taken apart and put back together. i feel i would have been better off getting a new engine and having it installed

i feel i would have gotten the car back faster if i would have gone somewhere else, and i feel like now hes grabbing me by the balls and taking my money. what are the thoughts of ruffly how much it would cost me. i dont no labor rates but still.

this is not offtopic so i dont care for bs right now. if you can give me an idea or something besides telling me to get a different car, which i already know and have been looking, thanks for the help.

What kind of car? Basically you’re talking about almost all the labor of doing a head gasket + having some head work done to clean up the cylinder.

$1300 doesn’t sound all that far off to me. Major engine work is expensive when you don’t do it yourself.

it takes a decent amount of time and effort to pull off a head. I am not surprised it costs so much.

it takes an hour to pull a head off.
Ive built several motors tho, so maybe im at an advantage?

1300$ is STEEP. you could have had the short block completely rebuilt with new pistons cheaper.

sounds about right to me. A head gasket replacement on most cars will cost right around $1300 at just about any mom and pop shop. Even though he only did work on one head, he still would have had to take the entire top half of the engine off. The lion’s share of that bill is the cost of labor for the disassembly and reassembly of the top half of the engine.

I’m surprised it wasn’t more. Dealing with homemade fuck ups like that gets expensive fast.

I don’t see the problem with the price, only with the amount of time it took to do the work.

yes …price sounds right … head gasket work is avg $1500 job

i would chrge at least 750 for head work …

The FOPFU charge. Standard fare. :slight_smile:

Yeah, but in the shop’s defense yambag shows up with something he and dad broke, on a flatbed, with no appointment. You have to take care of your customers who scheduled their work first. Still seems a little long but yambag makes no mention of any timeframe promised by the shop or how much other work the shop had in addition to his car.

is the car even worth 1300? its a malibu right?

If it was and it has a 3.1L it doesn’t take long to pull the head anyways. I’ve done head gaskets on 2.8/3.1/3.4 L motors in under 10 hours total time, drive in drive out.

Though average shop time is what 80 an hour? That puts you right into the 800-1000 in labor alone. You have to pay to play…

it was in the front of the car to if that helps, and i guess he is not 80 an hour

Come on tell us what shop?

ill find out and inform everyone tomorrow when im pissed off again.

honestly dont know the name.

how do you not know the name of the shop that YOUR CAR is at? how are u going to go pick it up if u dont even know where it is :picard:

if you knew half the shit i was going threw you would understand why my head is not straight right now. i have to much right now to care what the name is.

I’m still trying to figure out the title.

fuck my life compared to did i get fucked over. fuck my life because im not you newman and dont have money for car shit, and also did i get fucked over